question

advaith-g-n avatar image
advaith-g-n asked

Want to know the use of usb in venus gx

Can I able to communicate to full system of Venus GX through the usb port provided in it? Or I have to do that with Ethernet port?

Regards: Advaith

VictronConnectVenus GX - VGXethernet
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Advaith G N,

The USB port function of the Venus GX is the same as the Cerbo GX - and it is better documented in the Cerbo GX manual.

• The USB port can be used for:
  • IMT Solar radiation, wind and temperature sensor
  • Zigbee Wireless RS485
  • GX GSM accessory
  • GX 4G accessory
  • USB hubs
  • VE.Direct to USB dongle
  • MK3 to USB dongle
  • Keyboard
  • USB GPS module
  • USB memory stick
  • USB to RS485 adapter (for compatible Energy Meters).

There is no support beyond that that I can think of (though welcome for others to improve that list).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

woife avatar image
woife answered ·

Hi,

Is there any chance to use USB ports with Node Red (VenusOS large) für any different purpose (e.g. communication with Non-Victron device via RS485)?

I've tried this with a Raspberry Pi and VenusOS V2.93, but only a sporadicly valid communication occurs with the other device right after pluging in USB to RS485 or rebooting the OS and then no more.
Guess VenusOS will occupy the RS485 interface. Right?

Regards, W.

1 comment
2 |3000

michaeld avatar image michaeld commented ·

Just spitballing here but you could write a driver that communicates over RS485 and publishes on the dbus for easy access in Node-RED. Take a look at https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery which communicates with a BMS over RS485, and https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus-api for adding new services to the dbus.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic