question

frangar avatar image
frangar asked

Battery voltage greater than set voltage on Phoenix IP43 charger plus it now communicates with the BatterySense!

I have a Phoenix !P43 50/3 charger that after the last couple of firmware updates seems to have a higher output voltage than is set for Absorption/Float by 0.10-0.15v. Eg Absorption set to 14.60v on the app....actual battery voltage is 14.74v. Float voltage set to 13.05..actual voltage 13.20v.

This is measured both with the BatterySense and my calibrated Fluke multimeter...both readings are identical which is pretty impressive for the BatterySense I thought!

Whilst its easy to lower the voltage setting to get the correct battery setting I was wondering if any one else had noticed this?

Also thanks to the latest firmware update the Charger works with the BatterySense module which also means it compensates for any voltage drop between the charger and the battery bank which is useful when shunts etc are in the line. It does seem you can only have one BatterySense on the network though so can only monitor one out of the three possible banks that you could connect to the charger.

Look forward to hearing from anyone about this!

chargerSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Frangar

The SBS also communicates temperature, and if all is now working as it should you may now rarely see the setpoint match the actual V. You might turn Temp Compensation off to check, but best learn to live with it if your batteries recommend it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

frangar avatar image frangar commented ·

Doh! forgotten the temperature compensation!! Turned that off and all is as the settings. Need to have a play with the compensation as combined with shunts etc meant the voltage at the shunt was getting a bit high for the loads which are in use while the battery is charging. Many thanks for pointing that out!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual