question

valden avatar image
valden asked

First time charging & balancing of 12.8V Smart Lithium Batteries

I've read Para 3.2 of the manual for the LIFePO4 Smart Lithium Batteries. I understand why it is OK to do a first charge of a group of batteries if they are in parallel.

I haven't figured out why the recommended charging rate for the group of batteries being charged for the first time, in parallel, is C/20, where C is the value for one of the batteries, not for the group of batteries. I think I know, but I'd like to know the official answer. :-)

The problem with this recommendation is the amount of time it will take to bring three 12.8V/300Ah Smart Lithium Batteries up to full charge, starting from their delivery State of Charge of 50% or less, and then hold it there for 'an absorption period of several hours at 14.2V', all at a charging output from a MultiPlus of no more than 15 amps! Can the Multi be reigned back like that? Perhaps the Cerbo can control it.

Please tell me if my maths is right:

300Ah x 3 = 900Ah x 50% = 450 Amps of charging for 1 hour to fill the three batteries, or

450Ah / 15A = 30 hours + 5 hours of absorption @14.2V for balancing of cells = 35 hours.

Do you agree that I need to allocate ~35 hours for the initial charging, done for the three batteries simultaneously, in parallel? To save time (and because we need to launch the boat and move it to a marina berth) this is likely to be done in two blocks of hours; first for five hours on the MultiPlus, then a break for an hour during launch, then motoring with the alternator's charge limited to 50 amps for up to 30 minutes. Then we'll recommence the MultiPlus charging, at 15A, until the batteries reach full charge and have their 'several' hours of balancing. All with me sitting on them like a mother hen.

I don't imagine the short period of throttled back alternator charging at three times the C/20 rate will do any damage, but do tell if you think differently.

I am keen to get these batteries off to a very good start. They cost a bomb!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery chargingLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

The batteries need to be individual charged before use when they are going to be connected in series (or in series/parallel). However a pre-charge is not needed when they are going to be connected just in parallel. You mentioned in your post that the question is for paralleled batteries? If so, then pre-charging is not needed.

We have recently updated the Lithium battery manual, it is much more comprehensive, see: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/15958-Lithium_Battery_Manual-html5/index.html?lang=en Please have a look at the new manual chapter 4.4 This explains better why a pre-charge is needed.

The recommended pre-charge current is C2 (0.5C) so pre-charge is quite quick.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

valden avatar image valden commented ·

Thank you for this answer Margreet.

My 12.8V Smart Lithium Batteries will certainly be in parallel, so their circumstances will be entirely different from batteries in series.
Is it correct for me to think that the batteries still need to be held at a charge of 14.2V for several hours to facilitate internal cell balancing? Or is it less time than that? If the answer is in the new manual I will find it there. :-)

Thank you for this new battery manual. A lot of people will find this very useful.
Next - the DVCC manual!! :-D

0 Likes 0 ·