question

Marnix Keesmaat avatar image
Marnix Keesmaat asked

SmartShunt with VE-Direct to RPi Venus and VE.Smart Networking to MPPT ?

I ordered a Victron SmartShunt 500A/50mV as BMS in a TinyHouse.

I have a Smart MPPT 100/20 and a Victron Inverter Phoenix 24/800 VE. Direct, both are connected to a Raspberry Pi 2 Venus with a VE.Direct to USB interface for logging to VRM online portal and onsite lcd screen for insights.

The SmartShunt will be connected with a VE.Drect cable and VE.Smart Networking.

The idea is to use a VE.Direct to USB interface from the SmartShunt to the RPi, so that with the setting: "has DC system" the total DC load is measured and also know the SoC of the battery.

Then also use it with a Smart Network to the Smart MPPT.
Like in: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:ve-smart-networking

In the manual: "A VE.Smart network containing a SmartSolar with temperature sensor and a MPPT solar charger, the solar charger receives the battery voltage and temperature information from the SmartShunt and uses this information to optimise its charge parameters. This will improve charging-efficiency and prolong battery life."

I want in the future use a Victron Energy Smart Battery Sense (mainly for temperature compensation) so that the aux input port on the SmartShunt can be used for midpoint voltage.
Can the Smart Battery Sense use the VE Smart Networking and the MPPT and the SmartShunt too also to use this temperature setting?

I want also make a VE.Direct cable connection to Venus and also monitor the midpoint voltage of the battery bank (cable included); 2x 12v in series. Is it possible to use VE.Direct cable and VE.Smart Networking at the same time?

How important is the temperature sensor? The batteries are below the roof, so in the summer there are possible high temps (> 35 celsius) and in the winter low temps (-5 < 0 celsius).

Other questions about settings of the SmartShunt:

1. 7.1.1 Battery capacity
    With the Battery capacity setting (manual 7.1.1 Battery capacity) you set a parameter for how big your battery is. But there is no indication in the manual for what C-rating this setting is. Is it safe to asume that the setting is for a C20 rate?
    For my Victron Energy AGM Super Cycle battery (BAT412112081) this is than 125Ah

2. 7.1.2 Charged voltage
    The Carged voltage setting is 0.2v or 0.3v below the float voltage.
    In the battery datasheet: "https://www.victronenergy.nl/upload/documents/Datasheet-AGM-Super-Cycle-battery-EN.pdf" the float voltage = 13.5 - 13.8
    (would be nice as the datasheet gives an one voltage instead of a range).

Assume float battery voltage of 13.8 x 2 (batteries in serie) = 27,6v - 0.2v = 27,4v for charged voltage setting. What is better, to low or to high?
    The manual has a default of 26.4v Why so low?

3. 7.1.10 Battery starts synchronised
    The batteries aren't fully charged due very clouded weather for continious days.
    So the best way is not to set the: Battery starts synchronise (manual 7.1.1) in the OFF state?

4. 7.1.7 Charge efficiency factor
    The batteries are 2 year old. How te measure the current state of the battery? Maybe it must be less that 95%?

5. 7.3.2 Temperature coefficient
    What is more importand, to use the aux port for temperature coefficient or for monitoring midpoint of a battery bank (2 batteries in serie)?

Sorry for the long posting, but I hope this makes the use of the SmartShunt more clearly for all the Victron Energy users around the world.

MPPT ControllersVenus OSBMSSmartShuntbattery capacity
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers