question

leighsjor avatar image
leighsjor asked

Orion Smart 12/12 30 Not Charging

Maybe I’m missing something here and I’m hoping somebody can help. I have the Orion smart charger 12/12 30 connected to charge my 170 ah lithium battery. I have noticed that the charger seemed to be tuning down the output to approximately 15 amps after running for 15-20 minutes and I assumed this was because of the over temperature protection (the unit was quite hot). Now when monitoring the output via my BMV712 I’m not seeing any current coming through at all. I’ve checked my fuses/breakers they’re fine. When I open the app it tells me the charger is in the bulk stage and charging yet I see no current coming to my lithium battery anymore. Am I missing something here. Could I have a defective unit? It was working since I installed it until now.

battery chargingorion-tr smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alejandro1585 avatar image alejandro1585 commented ·

I’m having the same issue in which the Orion smart DC-to-DC charger says is in the bulk phase, yet the charging current doesn’t go above 10 amps. I’m charging 2 lithium batteries connected in parallel with a total of 12v and 340ah. As soon as the charger turns on, I see the current hit 29amps but then a few seconds after it drops. Can someone offer any guidance?

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
trip-tracks avatar image
trip-tracks answered ·

What input voltage is the app reporting?
What is the size of your input cables and how long are they?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leighsjor avatar image leighsjor commented ·

I used 4 gauge cables and the run is around 20 ft. Input voltage fluctuates somewhere between 12.6 and 13.3 usually

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ leighsjor commented ·

@Leighsjor, check to make sure that the "engine running detection" voltage is set low enough to turn on - your reported input voltage of ~12.6v-~13.3v is extremely low and lower than the default turn-on voltage of the Orion (usually set to ~13.6v). If your input voltage is lower than the engine running detection voltage, the Orion will remain off because it doesn't think the engine is running.

0 Likes 0 ·
leighsjor avatar image leighsjor Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

That makes sense. I think that’s worked and I do see some charge coming through again. Thank you!

I’m still curious why the charger tunes the charge back so much though. I mean I’ve seen it go from ~30 amps down to ~10-15 amps or less output after only 20 minutes of engine run time. Do you think this is purely due to overheat protection?

Thank you again!

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If the BMV don't show the current than I guess there is a wiring issue.

A very common issue is that the shunt isn't wired correctly and some loads/charger are connected directly to the battery instead to the correct side of the shunt.

Can you make some pictures and/or a wiring diagram?

2 comments
2 |3000

I believe it’s wired correctly because it has worked previously..

0 Likes 0 ·

I have only one negative lead on the battery all other negative leads connect through the shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
tharbarn avatar image
tharbarn answered ·

I'm having the same issues, has this been solved?

1 comment
2 |3000

billgib avatar image billgib commented ·
I'm also seeing the same problem with an Orion Smart. Initially charges around 26 amps then rapidly drops to 14 or 10 amps and gets very hot. Unit was bought this year. Plan to install a fan to vent the compartment and maybe one to blow over the cooling fins
0 Likes 0 ·
blaine-h avatar image
blaine-h answered ·

I’m having similar experiences with my Orion 12 12 30 after changing from a 200ah agm battery to a 200ah lithium battery. The unit always worked flawlessly with the agm battery, but with the lithium it keeps cycling between bulk and off with the charging phase only lasting seconds. Using the Bluetooth monitoring on my Victron shunt I’m seeing current spikes on the output up to 40 amps. I’ve played around with the charge threshold/cutout settings but can’t seem to change the short cycling/high current output behavior.

Anyone have any thoughts?

2 |3000

mbadke avatar image
mbadke answered ·

I am having a similar problem. Shore power works, solar works but the Orion is not charging the batteries. The alternator is working, it is charging the starter battery no problem but the lithiums are not charging… help.

2 |3000

John Leslie avatar image
John Leslie answered ·

Maybe check voltage at the input (VIn). If engine-on-detection is enabled, charging will be paused periodically for 10s and if VIn is below VShutdown, charging will be paused until VIn>VShutdown

The unit derates 3% every 1 degree C above 40C internal unit temperature. Put an infrared temperature gun on the unit at various points to find hottest and likely add a few degrees to estimate internal running temperature.

2 |3000