question

tomf avatar image
tomf asked

Safety parallel charging via MultiPlus, MPPT and Orion-tr

Hi Everyone,

I have battery: 160ah AGM with max load 45Ah.
And charging by 3 devices:

1. Victron multiplus compact 12/1600/70ah
2. MPPT smart 75/15ah
3. Orion-tr smart 12/12/30ah

Orion-tr and MultiPlus charger in general will not working in same time.

I read tons of documentation. 
And I know that:
a) Smart Dongle for MultiPlus do not communicate via Network with other devices.

b) I will need separate temperature and voltage sensor for MultiPlus and MPPT / Orion-tr.
c) Orion-tr do not supported temp. sensor but could working via VE. Smart network.
d) Via Victron connect I could set max load for multiPlus.
e) I do not want to invest too much money to another extra devices.

Questions:
1. How to safely configure devices to run in parallel, bearing in mind the sensors and maximum current for the battery?

- I should use normal sensor for Multiplus.
- I should use bluetooth battery sensor and connect with Orion and MPPT.
- I should change max load for Multiplus into 30 Ah.
- And at the end I should configure the same parameters for charging like type battery, voltage etc…

2. Do I need smart dongle if I have external ammeter and will have basic parameters from other smart devices (Simple switch button is enough for me).

3. What else should I know?

kamper-elektryka-v3-automatycznie-zapisany.png

MPPT Controllersbattery chargingorion-tr smartmultiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Czesz
Options are limited here because there is no option to synchronise charging with the devices.
Only the MPPT is VE.Smart compatible, but the other equipment is not.

So, like you said, adjust MultiPlus to maximum 30A so that you will stay under 45A even is the sun is shining 100%. And it is "almost" impossible for Orion and MultiPlus to charge at the same time. Be careful if you are connected with shore power to avoid starting the engine.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tomf avatar image
tomf answered ·

@WKirby
I know that it could be hard to do that remotely but as I understand all those device should have same charging prams.

Battery
160 AGM
Max Load: 45 A
Buffer charging: 13,5V - 13,8V
Cycling charging: 14,4V - 14,7V

I see that for Multiplus I have such option for (base in documentation) (I set DS3 = off; DS4 = on)

In Multiplus I have:

Absorption
Float
Storage
Absorption time
13,8 13.2 (standard)
max 5 hours

There is also interesting pram form me:
Searching mode (standard is should Down: 40V / Turn On: 100V): 2V / 5V (by VEConfigure)
AC Imput Limit: 12 A
Max load: 30 A (by VEConfigure)

In Orion-tr smart I have:

Absorption
Float
Storage
Absorption time

max 6 hours
and on adaptive absorption time

but I have additional params:

Bulk time limit: 10h
Re-bulk voltage offset 0.40V

I do not buy MPPT smart yet but I suppose that it will be same like Orion-tr.

Question:

1. I suposse that green params are OK but Im not sure the orange one. Could you confirm?
2. I have to use VEConfigure to cut max load into 30A. Its Charge current limit in DC Amps?
3. Absorption Time hmm I mnot sure how to set it. It should be adaptative in Orion or fixed and same like in MultiPlus?
4. Where to set searching mode I cano't to find here: https://docs.victronenergy.com/veconfigure.html#inverter-settings
5. Bulk time limit and Re-bulk voltage offset are ok?
6. I also have some questions if I should tougch default params if I have standard altermator.

2 |3000