question

neoman avatar image
neoman asked

Pylontech UP2500 + CerboGX in a camper Van - how to manage charge from alternator ?

Dear Victron community,

I’m going to use a Pylontech UP2500 (24V) in a campervan = offgrid system. Please find attached the first version of my electrical diagram.

I've read carefully the document written by Victron staff on how to parameter GX system in DVCC mode (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom)

I used a full Victron system in the past, the Vebus BMS was able to stop charge/discharge process automatically, and I would like to do the same thing in my setup thanks to the Cerbo GX.

Unfortunately, products such as Orion Charger/converter or battery protect don’t have any VE BUS or CAN communication port to allow direct charge/discharge communication. But both has the capability of being switched remotely. My idea is to use the two relays in alarm mode of the Cerbo to trigger the switch of the Orion and Battery protect in case of error sent by the Pylontech BMS.

For instance, in case of the Orion Tr Smart charger, wire the H pin (Figure c.3 manual).

Do you have any suggestion for this particular setup ? My French Victron distributor told me it was technically feasible but any advice is welcomed.

Vincent

cerbo gxPylontechcampervan
schema-hymer.jpg (571.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You can use the relay contact to connect the H and L of the Orion Charger to enable charging. Relay contacts open to disable Orion Charger.

Alarm mode may be an option to use or you could use generator start / stop relay mode to perform function on State of Charge %.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

neoman avatar image neoman commented ·

Hi WKirby, thanks for your answer. Perfect then ! You're right, it may be better to use generator start/stop relay mode and select the SOC source directly from the Pylontech battery. In this case, I have to set the relay polarity to Normaly Closed ?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ neoman commented ·

Relay should be normally open, the charger will be disabled with relay open.
When you reach the SOC limit that you want in the generator settings, then the relay should close. The charger will be enabled with relay closed.

0 Likes 0 ·