question

nismoboy34 avatar image
nismoboy34 asked

Victron Inverter chargers and float voltages ? why do they not retain ...

Good day all . A question thats been burning me for a while .. given that ive installed alot of lead acid and lithium systems i have been evaluating the charge and float profiles and their results ... i find this alot in systems with Standby application no solar .. and alot with No comms to batteries no canbus or DVCC enabled.. Just a plain backup ..
So Scenarios are such inverter charging battery from the grid and battery permanently connected to the inverter as should be.
the inverter charges up to 100% and reaches 55.7v (16s Lifepo4)
then the system switches to float where is should retain voltage --- NOT HAPPENING
then a rebulk or re absorb should take place in 7 days .. ---NOT HAPPENING

technically a 0.2v per 12v method is used meaning in a 48v system we should get a drop on float voltage of 0.8v to get a reabsorb ... ---- NOT HAPPENING.

Alot of battery systems use contactors and Bms systems internally which account for internal draw from the battery cells . and in which case means that the battery does take some load to retain the voltage from the inverter ..
We get to point where the SOC falls and falls and battery is never recharged with lithium ticked ...

But why would this not take place on the inverter with a predefined float value is my question and why does the deviation value not kick in the recharge .. when lower then 0.8v below float ?

A little more details i feel should be added in .
Two different inverter units, one multiplus 3000va 48v unit
the other multiplus 5000va 48v unit.
Both when set to a float voltage of 50.6 to 50.7 charge the battery to 100% Lifepo4 . 15s configuration .. after this process they dont retain the float voltage of 50.7 ... the battery has bms and circuitry internally that uses power.
Storage Not ticked .
Lithium batteries Ticked on
Both units are used only for power back up purposes and both units have Venus GX connected .. Pulling my hair out .
Please can some one chime in .. I dont want to have to run with DVCC as this is not 100% working and surely the default profile to Float maintain voltage should do its job unless i am missing something often after two weeks or so the voltage of the batteries drops to around 48v .. Not good .

MPPT Controllersbattery chargingLithium BatterySOCfloat
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Nismoboy34

Just a thought. If the system though they are in for backup are mostly idle, then maybe also check the storage mode on the ve config where you have set the battery profile.

0 Likes 0 ·

What is not working 100% with DVCC?

I have a small backup system for my internet running and it works well. Here is the battery voltages for the past 90 days. With one significant outage.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic