question

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra asked

No Solar production when Solar MD battery Logger is plugged into CCGX

Hello all,

A bit of a puzzle here.

I have a 5kva easy solar installed. It has been working great as an ESS system with a Pylontech us3000 bank.

The grid has been permanently removed by some budding entrepreneurs recently with no hope of being restored we decided to change batteries to Solar MD.

The Inverter has been reprogrammed for the new batteries and ESS removed as we are now off grid permanently. CCGX dutifully rebooted after the Pylontech removal.

The problem began when we decided to add the logger v2 for the MD batteries as we are thinking of paralleling a few for more storage.

Wired up the logger using the manuals and the article https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:solar_md plugged the logger into the CCGX and the inverter switches off. No problem it restarts but now there is no solar, the ccgx does recognize the bms and reads data off it though. It is sitting at 56% yet no solar for charging, the yield before the plug in is about 2700w. Yet if a larger load switches on in the house the solar kicks in and runs for a bit then goes down to 0w again.

Charging the batteries is a priority and we unplug the BMS- reset the mppt as it has error #67 and reprogram it. Solar charging back to normal.

Have tried several times now plugging and unplugging and repeating the reprogram process on the mppt each time. Rebooting the CCGX after plug in and unplugging.

Initially we thought it was because all we did was change voltages between the two batteries. Had reset the whole system to defaults and started again.

Tried then updating all components and treating it as a fresh install, update all firmware and reprogram. Still no change. If the logger is plugged in there is no solar yield.

I have been in contact with Solar MD and the logger settings have been checked out the wiring and tweaked settings, the bridge is ok, and the logger is ok and reads the data from the GX correctly. Their customer service is great. The logger is viewable on the myPower Portal so connecting to the internet fine. The only thing that seemed out of sorts is seen on the VRM where the battery monitor is seen as Pylontech the device was deleted. But i see when i reconnected the bms again today it shows a Pylontech again

Any other ideas? Or anything we may have missed?

EasySolar All-in-Onesolar
1598263376144.png (11.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Alexandra

Is it ok if I ask a developer to look into the system? for that, please leave the battery connected on CANbus

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Absolutely. Can I be cheeky and schedule for not today? We are almost out of peak solar and am still trying to get the big power loads done.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Ok I'll email you privately.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

So the problem seemed to be that the CCGX did not want to forget the Pylontech as they were such good room-mates and friends. The CCGX and Solar MD are now talking up a storm so all back to normal on my end.

They are two very different batteries but both good products.

Thank you to Solar MD support for all the assistance in finding the problem and to Victron Support for helping fixing the issue.

1 comment
2 |3000

Izak (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Izak (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

You are most welcome.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neill Robinson avatar image
Neill Robinson answered ·

I got exactly the same problem on my easysolar 5kva system. Disconnected my pylontech batteries today and connected 2x solar md 14.3kw units. Communication via can bus from solar md bms to CCGX. No solar production. Under Battery details - Installed/Available capacity shows 560Ah 560Ah however batteries are sitting at 47% charged. Please can Victron support assist me

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic