question

franko avatar image
franko asked

Multiplus Compact 12/2000/80-30 tripping shorepower when charging

I recently installed the Multiplus, MPPT 100/30, Digital multi control panel, battery monitor and solar panels to boost my existing solar capacity.

It all works well until I connect to shore power. It then trips the shore power RCD if I turn on the charger. If I leave the boats 240v charger circuit breaker off I can run everything else while connected to shore power. As soon as I switch the charger circuit breaker on, 15 seconds later the shorepower RCD trips. Advice appreciated.

Further, If I disconnect the 230v AC output terminals from the multiplus, the shore power RCD does not trip and the batteries charge. Is this a MEN problem @Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff)? I've triple checked the wiring is as per the Victron manuals.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargershorepowermultiplus compact
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi Franko,

As per the new community guidelines, I will give the community some time to answer this one before I get into it.

RCD's tripping could be MANY things, including a partial existing wiring fault that the ground relay contact in the Multi is exacerbating. Have a look at this draft document:

Wiring Unlimited - Grounding, Earth Leakage and RCD

0 Likes 0 ·
vetobus avatar image vetobus Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
I read your document ( Wiring Unlimited - Grounding, Earth Leakage and RCD ) and I'm a bit confused, in my installation(Boat) i have a Isolation Transformer. in the manual, it states that you should not connect the ground cable.. due to that you do NOT want to have the earth from shore to prevent some of the galvanic corosion. Page 7 in the manual (- If the boat is floating, connect the PE wire coming from the input PE terminal
to male push-
on connector J34A (wire shown in black on fig 4). Now input
and output are isolated from each other.) https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Isolation-transformer-2000W-3600W-and-3600W-Auto-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES.pdf
Show less
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ vetobus commented ·

Thanks for highlighting that.

I replied to your comment there, with a section that specifically deals with galvanic isolation.

1 Like 1 ·
1 Answer
franko avatar image
franko answered ·

Problem solved. For other novices, I previously had a charger only which was removed and replaced by the multiplus. I used the same cable from the boat switchboard to feed the new multiPlus instead of running shore power (which supplied the switchboard) directly to the multiPlus and using the multiplus output to feed the switchboard. Doh!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Ah...looks like you got away lucky...AC on the output of an inverter can kill it (have heard of two cases).

0 Likes 0 ·