question

fruityone avatar image
fruityone asked

How can I disable battery charging on a multiplus compact?

My system is on a boat with a MultiPlus Compact 12v/1600va/70a and a digital multi control panel.

I have 4x175w Victron PV panels connected to a Victron 100/50 MPPT controller.

My understanding is that both the multiplus and the mppt are both charging the battery bank simultaneously whilst connected to shore power. Can I turn off battery charging on the multiplus so that batteries are charged only using the solar power via the mppt?

I need AC shore power whilst in the marina so can’t turn the multiplus off completely.

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerchargershorepower
10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

covetingdolphin avatar image covetingdolphin commented ·

0955f9ca-acfa-40dc-be5d-b07e2fb60104.jpeg

Using a mk3 cable you could disable the Ac charger using the VE Config software

0 Likes 0 ·
fruityone avatar image fruityone covetingdolphin commented ·

Unfortunately my laptop is no longer after a disagreement with some red wine, can this be done with an iPad via Bluetooth?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem fruityone commented ·

No. Bluetooth doesn't work to configure a Multi. You need the MK3-USB adapter and that doesn't work on iPads.

According to this document:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/VE.Bus_Configuration_Guide/VE_Bus_Configuration_guide-en.pdf

"The specific MK3 VE.Bus component is available for Android, Windows, and macOS X (but not iOS)."

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Kevin Windrem commented ·

Hi

You can use the VE bus smart dongle which is bluetooth to configure the mulitplus if required.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Rob Duthie commented ·

No, with the VE.bus smart dongle you can't change settings. You only can change the input current limit and switch the Multi ON/OFF/Charger-only/Inverter-only.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Hi

If this is the only thing on th VE bus yes you can change settings, As mine does OK, if another VE bus inteface is attached you can only change the current and turn it on/ off

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
fruityone avatar image fruityone commented ·

As a simple hardware solution, could I just add a switch to the + cable running from the multiplus to the battery bank?

100 amp switch?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 fruityone commented ·

Don't do this. The Multiplus inverter should always be connected to the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
fruityone avatar image fruityone seb71 commented ·

I’ve just seen there is already a switch fitted between the multiplus and the battery, why does it always have to be connected?

i do not need battery charging or inverter power whilst connect to shore power.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 fruityone commented ·

If you turn the MultiPlus off, then yes, you can disconnect it from the battery, too. But you don't want to turn it off.

When you connect it back to the battery, it is preferable to pre-charge the capacitors.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

There's no reason to limit charging current if your battery bank can handle the combined charging current provided by the Multi (70 amps) and the MPPT (~60 amps).

If you do need to limit charging current, the best way to manage charge current is to add system components so they can limit the TOTAL charge current.

You'd need a Venus device (Cerbo GX, etc.) and a battery monitor (Smart Shunt or BMV-712). A Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 makes a low-cost Venus device. You can use a tablet to get to the user interface or attach the Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen or HDMI touchscreen. Add the MK3-USB and two Ve.Direct USB adapters for the battery monitor and MPPT.

If you'd rather not go that route:

Rather than disabling the charger, you could just reduce the charge current so that the max battery current.

VictronConnect can also access the charger settings in the Multi. You need an MK3-USB adapter since you can't get to settings via Bluetooth.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
There's no reason to limit charging current if your battery bank can handle the combined charging current provided by the Multi (70 amps) and the MPPT (~60 amps).

Energy cost (from the grid) is a good reason.

0 Likes 0 ·
fruityone avatar image fruityone seb71 commented ·

Exactly....I am in Greece with plenty of free sunshine and want to utilise my PV panels even whilst in the marina

0 Likes 0 ·
broekhuijze avatar image broekhuijze commented ·
i did solve this proramming the virtual switch as dedicated ignore ac.

ac comes in if soc is below 90(you can set it as you want), and cuts out after 1 minute ending bulk charge.

and i did overrule this if there is an ac draw of more than 700W and this rule stops if ther is an ac draw of less then 200W for one minute.

solar panels (200Wp) smart solar 75/15 now ther is always room for the solar power to flow to.

is a bit like they made cars euro6.

0 Likes 0 ·