question

cookinwitdiesel avatar image
cookinwitdiesel asked

Cerbo GX cannot connect to VRM

Anyone with a Cerbo GX had any issue getting it connected to VRM?

I installed mine today and it is on the WiFi properly and has internet connectivity (able to do firmware update/checks). It has IP Address, Gateway, and DNS all showing properly. I can access the Remote Console over LAN without issue. The network has wifi connectivity without issue and there is no captive portal signin required. I am using a USB connected StarTech wifi adapter through a powered USB hub. I was using this same adapter with my Color Control GX before this and it was working flawlessly.

I have an error code 150 and no VRM Portal ID showing in the console (but there is one on the side sticker - trying to register installation using that is failing since VRM is not communicating to the GX). This has been pretty frustrating so any assistance is appreciated.

This happens with both the latest stable VenosOS release (v2.57) as well as the latest release candidate (v2.60-37). I believe the out of the box version was v2.50 which did work.

cerbo gxVRM
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wilhelm-1 avatar image wilhelm-1 commented ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy)

Thanks for reaching out Matthijs (especially over a weekend)

Everything seems to be fine with the Cerbo and its functioning within my system, but I cannot connect it to my VRM account. I repeatedly see the following message:

I bought the device new, so I fail to understand which administrators have the said rights. Who-ever "they" are did not respond since yesterday.

It is already on my home-network and I access it from other devices on the network. I post the photos hereunder just as extra information of the device, network and firmware.

I suspect that I will either need a new MAC address or the "administrators" must approve my request.

Thanks

Wilhelm

1680450058609.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ wilhelm-1 commented ·
Hi @wilhelm@wvdv.co.za , can you add a comment with a photo of the settings -> vrm portal menu?

Ps. this is not a new question, rather a new comment still on the old thread of 2020. But doesn’t matter; I’ll help get this sorted here.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, we found an issue that affects the Cerbo GX when using an external wifi dongle.

In that situation, there is no vrm portal id anymore - and thus it can’t connect to the VRM portal.

We’ll fix this within a few days, with a new release of Venus OS.

The issue was introduced in v2.56, early July.

thank you all for raising this and apologies for inconvenience caused - Matthijs

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cookinwitdiesel avatar image cookinwitdiesel commented ·

Issue is now fixed thanks for Victron engineering. I am told a permanent fix will be out in v2.58

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes 0 ·
jdubbayew avatar image
jdubbayew answered ·

I'd try a few things.

1. Use the built in wifi to see if that works.

2. What port is the wifi adapter plugged into? Victron has communicated that the USB port closest to the HMDI plug is for power only, no data. Try another USB port.

3. Victron also had a problem with duplicate VRM IDs on shipped Cerbo models. Did your VRM ID change when you updated the firmware?

2 comments
2 |3000

The VRM ID did not change, it all together disappeared.

I can try to built-in WiFi.

The Startech WiFi is is plugged into a powered USB hub that is NOT connected into the power-only port (that is being used by my Touch50).

0 Likes 0 ·

The built-in wifi made no difference (and was 2.4 GHz only which is not preferred - I run a 5Ghz only LAN so that I do not have to deal with noise or interference on the 2.4 GHz band at campgrounds)

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

We've installed 6 in the last three weeks and they've all been fiddly, particularly the Ethernet ports. We upgraded them all the 2.57 by default but I am told by our distributor that it works on 2.51 and we should rollback. Anyone from Team Victron able to advise?

3 comments
2 |3000

I would rather not run an older version if I do not have to but may consider it if that is the only near term remedy. Need input from a Victron team member there for sure.

0 Likes 0 ·

@warwick, Are you seeing the same issue as @cookinwitdiesel?

If you are seeing other issues, can you describe them in more detail in a new community question?

Or get in touch with your distributor/sales manager so the info gets back to the Venus dev team to look into?

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Our installer has been grappling with them but I have not yet had a chance to get to the sites and investigate. I will take a look at my calendar in the next week and schedule a day to investigate.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Thanks for reporting @cookinwitdiesel

There have been changes made to the VRM Portal ID behaviour in the firmware between 2.51 and 2.57 with Cerbo GX. It was briefly described in this blog - https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2020/07/13/venus-os-v2-57-cerbo-gx/

I have forwarded this community thread onto the Venus developers, it's holiday time in the Netherlands at the moment so unfortunately there may be a delay.

Downgrading to 2.51 would be the workaround for now.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks Guy, I will proceed with the downgrade and report back.

0 Likes 0 ·

The VRM ID reappeared with v2.51 and I was able to add it in VRM however it still shows error 150 and is not connecting and sending data

0 Likes 0 ·
wilhelm-1 avatar image
wilhelm-1 answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) It seem that the issue persists. I today installed an new Cerbo and when trying to add to my VRM, received the same message. It repeated itself even after a firmware update.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi @wilhelm@wvdv.co.za ,

Sorry to hear your Cerbo is not working out of the box.

Could you post a new question, including screenshots, firmware version and what error message you are seeing exactly?

And make sure to have followed the VRM Portal chapter in the Cerbo GX manual, including the there mentioned troubleshooting steps.

That will make it easier to help you.

Have a good Sunday, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·