question

vanlifer007 avatar image
vanlifer007 asked

Non-Isolated vs Isolated Orion-Tr

Can anyone kindly give me a straight forward explantion to what is the difference between Non-Isolated vs Isolated Orion-Tr. I am trying to regulate the current coming from the starter battery/alternator to charge my 720AH 12v battery bank. at the moment they are connected via VSR which is not healthy i think :)

Many thanks

orion-tr smartalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Vanlifer007, the isolated version has a separate, galvanically isolated input and output NEG while the non-isolated uses a common negative return. If both your source and target batteries share a negative return (ie chassis ground) then you do not need the isolated version.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vanlifer007 avatar image
vanlifer007 answered ·

Thank you @Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA for the prompt response. I accept your answer.

can you elaborate more please on the implication of having a common negative when batteries are disconnected, for example at night when the MPPT is off or when the vehicle is stationary? the positives are disconnected but not the negative.

or if I can reformulate my question, when does one need to isolate the negatives?

4 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@Vanlifer007 there are no particular implications; if the positives are disconnected then it doesn't matter that the negatives are connected: DC requires both to complete a circuit.

Generally speaking, one only needs to isolate the negatives when the installation does not share a common negative return path, such as may be the case on many fiberglass boats that don't have a chassis and may not have a common grounding bus to which all their battery banks connect.

0 Likes 0 ·
vanlifer007 avatar image vanlifer007 Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Awesome :) thanks a lot. I learned something today

0 Likes 0 ·
ripper avatar image ripper commented ·

Also, the isolated Victron ones are adjustable in voltage, the non isolated have a set voltage. Charging batteries generally calls for adjustable voltages, supplying stuff and ancillary equipment likely doesnt.

In your case neither is the correct choice. You want a battery booster or the new Victron smart charger with several charging phases.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Otto avatar image Stephen Otto ripper commented ·

This is not true. This product is non-isolated but has adjustable voltage output. https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energy-Orion-24-10-Converter/dp/B01BF5BT6M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Also, in the case of lithium batteries, a multi-stage charger is not necessary; a converter is generally acceptable, although one should pay attention to voltages at the high end of the charge curve to avoid over-charging.

0 Likes 0 ·
jhickok avatar image
jhickok answered ·

When a Truck Camper sits on the bed of a truck, do they still share a common ground? Does the camper become "part of" the chassis? The camper is plugged into the trailer hitch. The camper's electrical system also grounds itself to the camper frame. Is this okay for the non-isolated version?

1 comment
2 |3000

nicetrip avatar image nicetrip commented ·
no, this is by far not an electrical connection, if the camper ‘sits’ on the chassis. The camper would be non isolated wired and all grounds come to a common ground bar which you connect with a strong cable to your chassis or battery negative. The small wires in your trailer socket wont hold much current. They are for tail lights
0 Likes 0 ·