question

erstwild avatar image
erstwild asked

Orion-TR Smart 12/12 30A F-250 Alternator Charging Settings?

I am having some difficulties setting up my new Victron Orion-TR Smart 12/12 30A chargers on my 2019 Ford F-250 with a 200 amp heavy duty alternator.

Originally, I had this isolator based system:

Blue Sea System Relay

80 amp circuit breaker

House Battery (300 ah LiFEBlue LiFEPO4)

I have now wired in the two Orions between the circuit breaker and the house battery (want to test before removing the relay).

I am having some wild voltage swing looking at the units with the standard LiFEPO4 settings.

For one, can this setup only handle one Orion potentially?

Also, if I remove the remote plug does that disable the unit and allow it be bypassed even if it is still wired in currently?

Any tips or pointer from someone who has tackled a similar project would be most appreciated.

I just wanted to better protect my alternator and charge my LiFEPO4 at the optimum voltage, and I am accomplishing neither at the moment.

orion-tr smartalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
eagle-overlander avatar image
eagle-overlander answered ·

I am planning the exact same setup on my 2019 F-350. Have you gotten any answers on this issue?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

HI @erstwild@gmail.com, welcome to the Community!

You'll need to provide some additional information before any answers can be given, particularly with regard to the type and gauge cable you're using, the brand circuit breaker, and if possible an actual sketch of the circuit you have.

At a glance, though, the first thing I would try is connecting the Orions to the start battery (through a reputable fuse/circuit breaker) as specified in the manual, since connecting them through a VSR like the listed Blue Sea is obviously going to cause you some huge problems.

2 |3000