question

gallows avatar image
gallows asked

AC connect 3kW wind turbine Victron Quattro System

I have a Off-Grid Quattro 10kVA with AC Connected 3kW Fronius Primo solar inverter and 4kW of solar panels. Frequency shift is used to manage battery overcharge. System works great in summer but we are expanding for winter with additional solar, and a wind turbine. We will AC connect an additional 4kW Fronius and solar array. For wind, we are installing a 3kW 60V AC turbine that will rectify to 48V DC and this feeds to a grid tie wind controller/ inverter (China Supply) that will synch to the AC Bus. The controller will dump power to dump resistors to protect the turbine from over speed/ voltage/ frequency.

However, i am concerned the Wind controller inverter will not spill turbine power (trigger dump resistors) when the AC Bus frequency is shifted by the Victron Quattro (High batrery voltage). Logic tells my the inverter would disconnect on high AC Bus frequency and send all power to dump resistors, though I cant be sure and manufacturer info is sketchy.

My question is whether it would be possible as a back-up to use one of the quattros Programmable relays to trigger when the AC Bus frequency is shifted to say 53hz. In this way I could trigger dump resistors to spill wind turbine power when it is not needed for House Load or battery charging.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerRelayAssistantsfrequencyHydro and Wind Power
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

romarub avatar image romarub commented ·

@gallows Did you manage to do it?

0 Likes 0 ·
gallows avatar image gallows romarub commented ·

Not yet unfortunately - turbine tower will go up in next few weeks and we still dont have a confirmed solution for the integration. Most likely we will DC connect the wind turbine and set it to dump when battery voltage is say 51V (about 80% soc). The danger with this system is we can get a max of 80A from the solar and 60A from the turbine on a sunny windy day, but the victron will only monitor the solar into the battery. There is a danger we can exceed the recommended max charge rate of 100A (bulking) into the batteries, by some margin and we are not sure how the stability will be with both the victron quattro and the turbine controller trying to charge the batteries. .

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

hi, fyi here is someone working on integration of Bornay wind controllers into Venus OS: https://github.com/stevepbyrne

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.