question

californiasolar avatar image
californiasolar asked

What is the Maximum Generator kW and Batterie 48V bank size permitted with Victron Quattro 5000 watt?

Hello Victron team,

I am building an off-grid solar system with batteries that has a 25kW generator operating.

Question :

1 - Will the Victron Quattro 5000 Watt inverter/charger work with such a big Generator?

2 - Is there any limitation to how many Lithium-Ion Batteries I can add to the Solar system? (I am aware that these need to be connected in 48V for the Victron inverter to function)

3 - Which MPPT charge controller would you recommend connecting to the system?

Thank you in Advance!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerLithium BatteryGeneratorvictron
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
tilo avatar image
tilo answered ·

1) It will work. Big generators usually are not a problem for the Quattro, as you can connect also to the grid (=very big generator). More important is the quality of the waveform of the generator.

2) The same, big batteries are not a problem for the Quattro. Try to avoid the spark on the DC cable when connecting the Quattro for the first time to the battery. You can turn on the generator and power up the Quattro (= capacitors loaded), then connect/power up the battery.

3) Victron MPPT with VE.Direct or VE.CAN (the new ones), together with a Victron Venus device.

It his highly recommended to use Victron certified lithium batteries, and follow the design and configuration instructions for this lithium battery brand which you can find here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.