question

Jimmy Sanchez Huerta avatar image
Jimmy Sanchez Huerta asked

Error 24 Quattro 48v 15000kva

Hi, my system was working fine, but a few days ago on Venus I had error 24, I read in the error article Error 24: switch system protection started. turn off the inverter and after 4 hours I turned on however we do not use a generator or public network. Today the error reappeared without success for it to work again.

I do not think it was an overload since in the advanced parameters it shows me the maximum power consumption does not exceed 3000w per quarantine

error
1592174032683.png (193.1 KiB)
1592174446561.png (164.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

HI @Jimmy Sanchez Huerta,

Do you have updates on this issue? How did you solve it? What was the root cause?

Very similar issue with me, same overload and low battery alarms/warnings when no clear overload and low battery measurements. I already had AC connection PCBs of 2 Quattro units, but don't know the actual root cause yet.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jimmy Sanchez Huerta avatar image Jimmy Sanchez Huerta commented ·

I read what the error indicates, but it doesn't make sense since it is an isolated installation without a diesel generator and, as indicated in the vrm, the load was not significant. the installation is less than 10 months old

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Jimmy Sanchez Huerta commented ·

Hi @Jimmy Sanchez Huerta

Did you measure the unit like described in the document?

What are the values?

If not sure what to do: please ask an installer to check this for you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jimmy Sanchez Huerta avatar image Jimmy Sanchez Huerta Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I am the installer, only it is an installation in a province and I wanted to know if there is any remote solution, I tried it also deactivating the quattro charger, there was no overload in the vrm it is validated, I can share it if you share your email, currently there is no trips to the province Due to the quarantine, as I mentioned before, the equipment worked less than 10 months, so the client asks us for the guarantee, the equipment has already been tested without load, but the error appears again shortly.

ID VRM: 7c386655fe83

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Jimmy Sanchez Huerta commented ·

I'm sorry @Jimmy Sanchez Huerta but someone has to measure it and when things are broken, arrange a repair / replacement.

0 Likes 0 ·
Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image
Nazareth Kevorkian answered ·

Hello,

I had the same issue almost a month ago with 3-phase Quattro 15k configuration as well (ACin1 Grid and ACin2 Generator). I followed the step by step procedure as described below, found out the neutral in and out of one unit (master) showing almost zero Ohm while disconnected and off. The authorized service provider changed the connection PCB internal to the Quattro unit, we re-installed, uploaded the new firmwares, re-configured with the same ESS settings, turned-on and it worked.

Almost 1 week later, we had the same error 24 alarm popping up again, after measuring the resistance of the neutrals on all 3 units, now another (slave) unit has 375Ohm between neutrals ACin1 and ACout1 (the other units showed infinity on the neutrals resistance). It seems it's having a cascading effect and I want to know the root cause why the first unit failed and then after the fix the second unit failed.

Please advise: @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff), @Matthias Lange - DE

Let me know if you need more details and information.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) could you please direct me to the right person here who can help me out?

Thank and regards.

10 comments
2 |3000

Hello, You have a three phase system which has the neutrals joined on all three units on the Acout and also joined the neutrals on ACin. How can one resistance be higher then the other as the three relays are in parallel?. or did you remove the neutral in a running system or in stand alone usage??

0 Likes 0 ·
Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image Nazareth Kevorkian Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I measured the resistances on each unit alone only after I disconnected each unit from all AC wiring (in and out). @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

0 Likes 0 ·
Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image Nazareth Kevorkian Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

Is it possible because of the switching cycle lifetime of the back-feed relay/contactor? Could you please provide the electrical specs of it (input power range, open-close switching cycle lifetime, magnetic and thermal properties, surge power handling limitation, reactive power passthrough capacities - PF, etc.)?

0 Likes 0 ·
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

Hello

I am still not sure how you measured the contact resistance of the transfer relais but I think it’s best you have the unit brought to the dealer and have this checked / repaired.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

Thanks for the reply. I have followed the step-by-step process noted here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:ve.bus_error_codes#:~:text=Error%2024%20is%20raised%20when,current%20measurement%20circuit%20is%20faulty.

Step 1
Start with making a video of all units and their LED code. Do not first reset the system; and do not reset it after making the video either.
Step 2
Completely disconnect all AC wiring, both in- and out, on all units. Make pictures of the terminals; to make sure when discussing this with an engineer; there is no misunderstanding on what has been meant by this instruction.
Step 3 Now, with an ohm-meter, measure the resistance between the neutral terminals on AC-input and the AC-output, A working unit will show no connection between these terminals. And also measure the resistance between the Line terminals of AC-input and AC-output.
A faulty unit will measure zero or close to zero resistance.

I sent the second unit to the authorized dealer and they changed the same connection PCB internal to the second Quattro unit as with the first Quattro unit. Bu I need to know the root cause to prevent a cascading effect in the future. Could you please help me find the root cause?

0 Likes 0 ·
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

Thats the problem with isolated incidents, its hard to say what have caused it. It could be a relay failure or an internal wiring issue, I don't know. Paralleling is done over twenty years so its safe to say that that didn't cause anything internal. In general , make sure the wiring AC and DC are done 100% symmetrical to all units to create the perfect balance between the units.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

Could you please explain more what do you mean by "symmetrical"?

THe authroized dealer thinks this is caused by a surge, do you think this could be a plausible reason, given that we have SPD installed at the Grid/Generator ATS board?

Moreover, one of the reasons in the link above:

The AC input voltage slowly drops before it is being rejected by the Multis. Typically happens in installations with a generator. Especially when combined with AC loads that increase their current draw when the AC voltage drops: by the time that the inverter/charger initiates the disconnect, the current through the relays has increased well beyond the ratings, and is too high to open them.
Solution : Make the Multis or Quattros disconnect earlier: increase lower limit of AC input voltage in VEConfigure3. For example to 210 VAC. The factory setting is 180 VAC.

2-3 months ago, we had several brown-outs, do you believe the slow drop in voltage would damage the back-feed relay on the long run?

0 Likes 0 ·

Symartical means that al wires need to be the same length , size.

if the AC input drops to a low voltage the current shoots up indeed, that could also cause relay failure in the lifespan. A higher low AC setting could improve this indeed.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) thanks for following up on this.

I just checked the VRM data, during and before 6 months of having the error 24 (back feed relay problem), we had load consumption on average 3.6kW and power consumption from grid (load consumption + battery charging) on average 1.5kW with a few peaks of 7kW, and this on all 3 Quattros, so you will divide by 3, it's too low power for current surges on low voltages. So even if we got to really low brown-out voltages, the current won't shoot that much so the relay burns!

Do you think it could be a surge issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
Nazareth Kevorkian avatar image Nazareth Kevorkian commented ·

Based on the data retrieved from the VRM, both times error 24 popped up, it was immediately after a grid (ACin 1) power off with slightly low single phase voltages (200-214 Vac), or after a low-battery or overload shutdown which in turn was after a grid (ACin 1) power off.

0 Likes 0 ·
pcbl avatar image
pcbl answered ·

Did you get to the bottom of the issue? I just experienced the same problem with 2 multiplus ii in parallel. AC input voltage fluctuation during scheduled charging caused the multis to go into protection mode with error 24. After resolving the issue, the multis will not come back on, the fault persisted. I measured the resistance between L & N of all inputs and outputs, low resistance <1 ohm on Line 1 output. Assuming both units are faulty as the instructions suggests, left it off completely overnight. The next morning, started working again, not sure if it was the few hours off that cured it, or trying to switch to Inverter only to start with. As it is now working perfectly, I proceed to measure the resistance again with the units off, and they still measure < 1ohm between L&N for AC out 1. It can't be faulty now as it is working but why the instructions suggest that it should be no connection?

2 |3000

aydin-1 avatar image
aydin-1 answered ·

I have exactly the same problem with a three phase system 2 in parallels (6xQuattro 10 48 Volts).

This is an off-grid installation.

The system was working absolutory fine for about 6 month then It came up with error 24.

I replaced a Connecting Board of one of the inverters, then the system was working fine for a week and it happened again.

Now as soon as I turn the Generator on. The input MCBs pop up and Error 24 appears.

Any suggestions???

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@aydin1

Check your AC wiring and distribution board.

Make sure everything is tight. What i have seen is that after install a few months down the line this does need to be done.

What you might find is there is a relay opening or closing slightly later than others causing the issue. The current detected over it will throw up the error.

Check voltage between neutral and earth.as well. Many people say "oh but no changes were made", but yeah stuff works loose so it can change itself... Rats get in ... or other wildlife....

An aplliance can be failing and leaking to earth this can also cause an issue.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic