question

elf avatar image
elf asked

Phoenix Inverter Installation Fan Direction

I am about to fix the inverter to a wooden wall.

First: Unlike the the instructions for the MPPT which says not to attach to wood, so I offset the MPPT 1cm from the wooden wall on a piece of stainless steel. tThere is no such guidance for the 12|1200. So is it OK is fit directly to the wooden wall?

Secondly is the orientation. I'm thinking of mounitng it vertically with the control panel facing up but this would only be optimum for cooling if the fan sucks air throught the unit and so bring cooler air in, rather than sucking air into the unit from the top, which would be warmer. As I have yet to see the fan operate, which way does the air flow?

Thirdy. I have asked before and recieved no answer, even by email. I have the Britsh output but the socket is upside down in that the cable from the plug blocks proper access to the power button. Can I open the unit and turn it around?

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
elf avatar image
elf answered ·

I think I'm missing a manual and can't find the information stated in another post.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/24387/phoenix-121200-inverter-manual-confusion-over-moun.html

"Two choices are “not recommended”.

1) upside down on ceiling

4) vertical wall mount with fan up. "

If that post is correct then my choice of orientation is not good i.e. fan up.

This indicates the fan draws air into the unit and should be at the lower end.

Looking at the blades ths means the fan must turn anti-clockwise.

The problem then arises that with only 1.5m of cable the control panel will not be visible.

With batteries on the floor and 1.5m cable to inverter the panel which is facing downwards. It would be better if the fan rotation was clockwise and air drawn in from the back. Then it could be mounted vertcally with the fan at the top and the control panel will be visible.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

elf avatar image
elf answered ·

OK i ahve found the manual

https://www.victronenergy.com/Manuals/phoenix/Phoenix12_1000/GBISM010037000_REV0020030304.pdf

So can the tech team confirm

a) that th fan turns anti-clockwise and draws ait into the unit and

b) that I can re-orientated the output socket.

I've had this for a couple of years or so and harldy used it, so warantee may have expired. If so is the fan dc and can I reverse it's direction?

3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

As the manual says the fan should be on the bottom (where the connections are).
Mounted that way the fan will pull the air from there and push it through the inverter.
(it is a bit more efficient to push the air through rather than pull it through the inverter)

So if you mount the inverter with the connections on the top and you rotate the fan it will work but with slightly reduced cooling -> reduced output power at higher temperatures.

0 Likes 0 ·
nbezanson avatar image nbezanson Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

To clarify, the "connections" you're referring to are the DC terminals and remote control terminals, not the AC socket? I don't have the unit in-hand while doing my design, and neither the manual nor the CAD model clearly states which end has the fan.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ nbezanson commented ·

According to manual @elf linked above, he have an old Phoenix with all connections on one side.
https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters/phoenix-inverter-180va-1200va

If I remember correctly the new 12/1200 Phoenix have the fan somewhere in the middle.
At this model the side with the DC connections should be at the bottom.

0 Likes 0 ·
elf avatar image
elf answered ·

Thanks for the confirmations. I have resolved the orientation issue and cooling and front panel access.

I have mounted it horizontrally on an open alumninium shelf.

On the issue of the socket. Is it possible to turn it thorough 180 degrees. You can see from the image the cable from the plug goes up infront of the the switch and makes it more difficult to see the LED also.

inverter-shelf.jpg (146.8 KiB)
2 |3000