question

mhakulinen avatar image
mhakulinen asked

Easysolar 12/1600 install in a van, panel wiring and LiFeYPO4 settings

Hi,

Bought into Victrons sales speech for Easysolar 12/1600 product for a van project, but it seems some things still remain unanswered. I've read the manual and done the search. This setup will be used year round in different locations, some shaded some not and temperatures will vary mostly between -5 to +25 celsius. I will be living off-grid full time in the vehicle, so i opted for what i believe is a quality product from a European manufacturer, and i really want to like it.

Being that solar power is somewhat of a new option in the energy market (for the average consumer i mean) and it's popularity will grow together with the advance of battery technology. I find that that the manual and available information for a product labeled as Easysolar is lacking. I really think Victron is on to something here, but the documentation needs to be improved.

Ranting aside, to avoid frying my expensive gear and to get this right the first time, i have come here at the fountain of knowledge to be assisted and educated. So please take time to read this post thoroughly.

My setup will be:

Easysolar 12/1600

https://www.victronenergy.com./inverter-charger-mppt/easysolar#pd-nav-image

3x GWL SunnyPoly 165w panels

https://shop.gwl.eu/Solar-PV-Systems/Solar-panel-GWL-Sunny-Poly-165Wp-36-cells.html?listtype=search&searchparam=165wp

12v 260ah LiFeYPO4 winston battery with BMS123Smart for monitoring (link is to 200ah battery, otherwise specs should be similar)

https://shop.gwl.eu/Winston-12V-sets/12V-2-4kW-LiFePO4-set-with-200Ah-cells-BMS-mobile-monitoring.html

Now for the list of actual questions:

1. Series or parallel panel wiring:

-I am under the assumption that parallel wiring would be better for shaded areas, but series better for more challenging conditions. So far I'm going for parallel wiring, will this work? Do i have enough voltage coming out of the paralleled panels to charge my system when in less optimal conditions? Is there a reason i should consider series?

2. If wired parallel, where to connect:

-there are inputs for 3 strings of panels on the Easysolar, is there a difference whether i connect the panels parallel in the roof and come down with one set of connectors and wires or is it better to wire and connect all 3 panels separately? I am inclined to wire them separately just because it would seem more serviceable and more robust to have less connectors and all 3 panels having their own set of cabling all the way from panel to the CC, this make any sense?

3. Inverter/charger settings

-i do not have any kind of color control monitor or such, i only have one VEdirect to usb -cable which i gather is not compatible with the inverter/charger portion of Easysolar but would need a VEbus to usb cable(?). However, when i check the manual page 16 for the table for dip-switch operable voltage settings - there is no setting for lithium batteries to be found at all? What settings do i NEED and HOW to set them now (with either dip-switches or by acquiring the VEbus-cable)?

4. Charge controller settings:

-now this one seems to have a rotary selector for LiFePO4, so that's something that is finally Easy as the name suggests. Apart from flicking the switch to seven is there any additional settings i NEED to change in order to keep my battery healthy? I quess this would be done with the VEdirect to usb cable and a computer then?

5. Is there anything else i need to reconsider before going with this setup?

-i've already acquired the gear mentioned above and will install these in the coming weeks. This will be the single most important aspect of my van, so i would like it to work since it will be a pain in the ass to redo once the project is finished.

Thank you for reading this far, please reply if you have an answer to one of my questions.

-miikka

battery chargingEasySolar All-in-OneoffgridSolar Panelvictron
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ยท

@MHakulinen Congratulations on your Victron purchase. We have an Easy Solar and love it.

1. Series or parallel - either will work for you as you have a low voltage system.

2. If parallel, use up all the MC4s at the bottom of the charge controller. Advantages being the shading issue you bring up - if you combine them then bring on set down you remove the advantage of the parallel set up. And you are mobile so not relying on one cable which could develop an issue and bring the whole system down is a good move. It will also allow change in configuration without having to pull apart the van to rewire everything if you every want to expand or experiment.

3. Inverter charger settings - You will need the Mk3 adapter and the software to do this and working knowledge of the program. You can also do it over the VRM. If you have a drop in lead acid replacement battery then you may get away with lead acid settings as it is a self managed battery? Someone else may have a better idea on this. Not too sure on this one as we tweaked ours in software for our LifePo4 drop in replacements.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mhakulinen avatar image
mhakulinen answered ยท

Thank you for the reply @Alexandra, this will get me started. Sometimes you just need a confirmation. Have you had any issues with Easysolar?

I will get that Mk3 adapter (VEbus?) and inquire the battery vendor for more details on what settings would work.

Will try and post the updates here, maybe it will help someone else also.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra โ™ฆ commented ยท

@MHakulinen Absolutley no issues so far and we have worked the system hard. The local distributor gives great support here.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Victron Offgrid page