question

svcanna avatar image
svcanna asked

Max charging temp for Victron Lithium battery

I have a 3600 Multi II with a VE.bus BMS and 3 Victron Lio batteries. Configured them all with the config program and let all the defaults be after I changed the battery type to Lithium. Lio Assistant is loaded. Plugged in shore power and the batteries charged happily for an hour or two and then stopped charging. The red 4 cell volt/temp LED is lit on the BMS and the batteries report charge disable in the iphone victron connect app. The cells are all under 4 volts (well under) but the temps on the batteries are 25C. Is 25C the max charge temp? If not how do I convince the BMS to charge them once they hit 25C?

Thanks

Lithium BatteryBMStemperature
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

svcanna avatar image svcanna commented ·

It appears the red LED is used for for more than >4 volts per cell or over temperature. This morning when I plugged the boat in charging stopped again when the batteries were only at 16C. Then I noticed the voltage was 14.25. The Multiplus dropping the charging current and lighting that red LED at 14.25. When the voltage dropped below 13.85 the red LED would go out and the charging current would start again. So I guess this is normal behavior but it would be nice if that behavior would have been mentioned somewhere.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
jaywolfe avatar image
jaywolfe answered ·

I think the lithium charging profile doesn't go above 14.2 on the victron vrm.

You maybe using the wrong charging profile and the bus is quite correctly protecting your batteries

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello,, the red light is triggered by a cell voltage or cell temp issue. not on 14,25Vdc only.

Please make sure the battery is balanced well by having it on charge for at least 2h/14,2V. The temp max is 55 Deg so that cant be the issue here i guess.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page