question

blue-sails avatar image
blue-sails asked

Is it possible to connect two DC chargers in series to charge at a higher voltage?

Hello,

Is it possible to connect two 24VDC chargers in series to charge a battery bank at 48VDC?

There are apparently no 48VDC chargers with Universal input of 90-265V, 50/60Hz.

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

battery chargingcharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
harold avatar image
harold answered ยท

I would not try it, as modern chargers use algorithms, which will not suit your battery's

Harold

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

blue-sails avatar image blue-sails commented ยท

Hi Harold,

Thanks.

Would you know of an alternative way to charge a 48-volt battery bank with a universal AC voltage input?

0 Likes 0 ยท
harold avatar image harold blue-sails commented ยท
0 Likes 0 ยท
blue-sails avatar image blue-sails harold commented ยท

Hi Harold,

Thank you.

Just until a few days ago, I thought this was not an option; however, I recently learned that Victronโ€™s isolation transformerโ€™s online description is incomplete, and I had, therefore, a wrong concept of its full potential.

It seems that the self switching isolation transformer will allow for the following:

• 115 VAC to 115 VAC
  • 115 VAC to 230 VAC
  • 230 VAC to 230 VAC
  • 230 VAC to 115 VAC

I got originally the impression that only the following modes were possible based on the information available online:

• 115 VAC to 115 VAC
  • 230 VAC to 230 VAC

What does this have to do with my original question?

The charger was meant to take AC power and convert this to 48VDC for battery storage. Both devices are meant to be used on a boat.

Using both together permits cancelling different voltages and frequencies from shore power. Now it appears that the isolation transformer will feed a Skylla charger at 230VAC, and the Skylla charger will in turn feed a battery bank at 48VDC.

House loads using 12VDC will use a DC to DC converter, and house loads at 230VAC & 50Hz will use a Phoenix inverter to convert from 48VDC.

This allows using motors and compressors which are normally affected by changes in frequency.

Kind regards,

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic