question

henning-s avatar image
henning-s asked

Orion-TR Smart DC-DC 12/12 30 and use cases with LiFePO4 on a sailboat

Hi, looking at the Orion-TR Smart component as an option to simplify things with my new lithium house bank, and got some questions..

First question:

Given that the house bank is LiFePO4, and the starter bank is lead, the Orion-Tr Smart will protect the alternator from being burned by charging the lithium only at 30 Amps. This is good, but will also waste power that could be fed to the lithium-batteries. Is it not a better solution to feed all possible power to the lithium batteries, and charge the other way? (given another solution to save the alternator from burning)?

Second question:

Is the Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC 12/12 30 usable as a LiFePO4 charging adapter for a multiple of other charging sources? E.g. wind/solar, old shore power charger and old engine alternator - as long as all initial charging goes via the start battery? Or is it usable only on an isolated alternator circuit, as pictured in the documents?

As an example, I have an old shore-power charger, providing lots of amps but with variable voltage. Seems to be ok with the lead-battery, but probably too variable voltage for my new LiFePO4 bank. Can I still use it if I add the Orion-Tr Smart between the lead-battery and the LiFePo4 bank?

Third question:

Is there a short term plan to provide a version of the Orion-Tr Smart with higher output amps? E.g. 50?

Regards!

Lithium Batteryorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Henning S

1). You could do that if you were happy with the accuracy of your alternator output. Are you?

2). Yes.

3). New products are rarely preempted. Ok to ask for one, or even a firmware tweak, but don't expect a useful answer. For a number of reasons.

Multiple parallel units are possible, and you could switch them in remotely either manually or by relay (as you determine).

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

henning-s avatar image henning-s commented ·

Thank you @JohnC,

I'm just looking at it component-wise before placing orders. I'm not sklled in this field, so hope you excuse possibly dumb questions.

1) I don't know yet.
Existing setup: Yanmar 4jh3e with a Hitachi 80 amps alternator, and a simple Tyco 12V regulator (part no V23134-B1052-C642 ++0532).

2) Assuming the yes means 'yes, the Orion-tm smart is usable as an adapter to the second battery in a setup where multiple charging sources goes directly to the first battery'.

I guess the exercise is to find the common voltage threshold for all charging sources.

3) I understand, it was a long shot. The reason for asking is limited space. More amps would improve the use case, as long as it does not overdo it with respect to my (and everyone elses) alternator.

My alternatives seems to be,
a) replace the old shore-power charger and possibly the regulator (may have consequences for alternator).
b) use the Orion-tm Smart to keep existing setup, acceppting the lesser charge effect going to my lithiums.

I'm also considering the VICTRON Phoenix Smart IP43 12V 50A (3 channels) as a replacement for my old charger. Does it support setup of different charge profiles to each charge channel? E.g. one charge profile to the lead on channel 1 and a separate to the lithium on channel 2, or is it one profile for all channels?

Thanks for all support.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ henning-s commented ·

@Henning S

It's fine to think it out. And you can go through 100 ideas to pick out that one that suits you. But always step back occasionally to visualize what you want your system to do, and how convenient you want control of it to be. (Once I decide, I then leave it 14 days before ordering anything - my mind might change too. And it does!).

For me, with Li batts, I'd want reliable control & monitoring from a min number of devices, but from the same place, whether that be a phone, glass bridge, or somewhere in-between. The Orion Smart could do that, even if you had 1, 2, even more. Then you could use any-ole charger(s) on the batt that feeds them, but keep your Li's safe.

Philosophy aside, that Orion is a buck-boost unit, and it takes no prisoners. It can drain the life from the feed batt, so really should be switched in automatically, lest you forget to turn it off when you've no charge on the feed batt. That said, I'd choose it (even more of), because they're great units for your purpose. So your alternative b) is my choice, the pb feed batt can handle your orphan chargers.

That Phoenix IP43 is single profile.

0 Likes 0 ·
henning-s avatar image henning-s JohnC ♦ commented ·

After some investigation I found the alternator circuit is ok as it is. Replaced the charger though.

0 Likes 0 ·