question

Beau Sandford avatar image
Beau Sandford asked

Slow CCGX data upload rates?

So, this is a pretty uncommon case I'd imagine, however with my current setup the CCGX doesn't have a constant internet connection. Only gets one when I can take my laptop out and share the WiFi to it. (working on getting ethernet out to it)

However, when doing so I've noticed that the rate at which the CCGX uploads to the online portal is extraordinarily slow, like 2MB total upload data (monitored from the network interface) over half an hour kind of slow. I'm wondering if this is intentional, or if there's a setting somewhere that limits the upload rate? While a very uncommon use case, it still seems a little odd that the data rate is so low. I know it's not the internet connection as I can easily push 1MB/s over WiFi from this laptop.

Cheers.

VRMCCGX Color Control
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

I've noticed the same thing. I discovered my CCGX in my travel trailer had been disconnected from the network for a couple of months and it took about 3 days for all the data to be uploaded to VRM. I'm logging one record per minute so that's about 86,000 records - about 20 records per minute!!!

Also, you can't use the remote console until the upload is complete. However, the VRM history graphs to fill in as data is received while still showing a no data alarm.

I can understand that Victron may wish to limit the bandwidth consumed by each system, but we need better notification of the situation. Something along the lines of "XXX out of YYYYY records uploaded", or "Uploading records - estimated 22 hours remaining."

We should also be able to use the Remote Console which I assume uses MUCH more bandwidth than the upload of history data.

0 Likes 0 ·
anthem avatar image anthem Kevin Windrem commented ·

I don’t remember if the Cggx you could see it. But on the cerbo - under the VRM section you can see the number of records that need to be updated along with a countdown of it updating and how many are left.

And yes the vrm portal updates as data is being uploaded.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
anthem avatar image
anthem answered ·

I notice that when it has a lot of records to send, it sends them at about 100 records per second.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

There is no user setting that limits uploads. What I have found is I insert a micro SD card into the ccgx for it to record data on it and then it is easier to remove the card manually upload the file to the vrm with the laptop.

You may find the upload speed of your ISP is an also an issue with the upload of files.
3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Thanks for the suggestion. I had forgotten you could do that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Beau Sandford avatar image Beau Sandford commented ·

Gave that a shot, took all of 10 minutes to compress the file and find the upload button. Checked my upload speed, pushed 200MB in 4 minutes. Given the CCGX file was ~500MB, the CCXG should have been able to upload that in all of 10 minutes.

Definitely still something whacky going on there for the upload directly from the CCGX to be so slow.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Beau Sandford commented ·

To be fair the processor and main workings section of the unit is more aimed at low power consumption and basic interfacing than computing power unlike your laptop or PC.

0 Likes 0 ·