question

shivadas avatar image
shivadas asked

Multiplus 12/2500/120 stop charging with external BMS signal

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this.

I have an older 12/2500/120 Multiplus that I got second hand. I have non-victron batteries with 123BMS system.

When my BMS says to stop charging via its relays (if somehow my Multiplus didn't get it, or battery overheats, or something else I have no idea...), how do I turn "off" the charging of the multiplus?

What is strange to me is that the "Remote Connections" of the multiplus have 3 pins and 2 options.

1. Short pin 1 & 2 to turn Multiplus "ON". This feels absurd because the manual says these pins only work when the device is on through the main switch (see below excerpt of manual)
  2. Short pin 2 & 3 to turn into "charging only": logical!

Is there a way I can use pin 1 & 2 to turn the multiplus off ? To stop charging? Or any other way aside from putting a relay on the incoming AC connection?

My main question is, can my BMS turn off (=overrule) charging entirely?

[ 1.6.4 Remote Control — The product can be operated remotely in two ways.1: Use of only an external switch.For connection of the switch see Appendix A.Observe the following when using only an external switch:Only functions if the switch on the product is switched to the "on" position.]

Thanks for helping me out!!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerBMSchargerVEConfigure 3Relay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
olly12383 avatar image
olly12383 answered ·

If the BMS has NO and NC contacts then just use the NC set on p1 and 2.

Otherwise you will need a relay.

Olly

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shivadas avatar image shivadas commented ·

@olly12383 what are NO and NC contacts?

Is that "no charge" contacts?

0 Likes 0 ·
shivadas avatar image shivadas commented ·

@olly12383 okay figured NO and NC out. Thanks for the tip! I will try this out later today. Will it switch off the multiplus completely or only stop the charging?

Is there a way to only stop it from charging but keep the inverter on?

I know you can set the charger off in the settings, but is that setting controllable via relay?

0 Likes 0 ·
waninae39 avatar image
waninae39 answered ·
mutiplus goes into INVERT mode and then disconnects ext AC i have had the same setup for 2 years. now the MULTIPLUS 12v/3000W/50A is acting funny it is connected to an external 30 A source i have the BMV712 and the victron control panel When i add a 900 watt load, it immediately goes into INVERTING mode and disconnects the AC supply then the BMV 712 reports that the lion battery that was at 14.2V is now low at 11.46v 3 seconds later it switch to BULK mode, reconnects the external AC and the LION battery is now at 13.4v when the load is removed, it goes to ABSORB mode and the LION battery is now at 14.3v why is it doing this ? how do i fix this did something change with a FW update? @waninae39
2 |3000