question

omglasercats avatar image
omglasercats asked

Broken left most pin in UTP connector on PCB board on 500A shunt, voltage reading 0.00

My BMV-700 shows battery voltage as 0.00, even though it is 12+ volts. It does however show Amps in/out. I found that the left most pin on the PCB board on the 500A/50mv shunt is corroded and has no "spring" left in it to make contact with the UTP communication cable.

Can someone tell me if the left most pin on the UTP connector is used? If not, what else could the problem be?

If I do need the left most pin to work, where can I go to get a new PCB board?

See pictures below. Thank you.

BMV Battery MonitorvoltageHelp
2020-03-06-0.jpg (524.0 KiB)
2020-03-06-1.jpg (318.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @omglasercats, yes, all pins are used - please contact the authorized dealer from whom you purchased the unit to inquire about a replacement PCB; in most circumstances this will be a simple warranty replacement procedure, but each dealer's exact process may vary somewhat.

If you're not certain where you purchased the device, you can fill out this form using the device serial number (located on the original box or, if you no longer have it, also located on the sticker on the back of the display head) and Victron will reach out to the dealer for you.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

omglasercats avatar image omglasercats commented ·

Excellent, thank you. I do not have the box, the installer never got it to me.

I found this quick install guide, but I still cannot manage to get the unit out of its mounting bracket. I am afraid I will break it. Any tips?

0 Likes 0 ·
2020-03-06-2.jpg (2.7 MiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ omglasercats commented ·

Picture 3 in the manual you linked. You will need access to the back to loose "big nut thing" (I don't know the correct english word for it)

Edit: It is a mounting ring. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I am not sure there is a correct English word for it :)

This might help clarify:

8340-screen-shot-2020-03-07-at-93049-pm.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRljOaTdc3s

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

:) thanks.
I was looking for the right word in the manual and in this video, too.
But I only skipped through the video and missed this part. hehe.

Ok it is a mounting ring. In German I say "Überwurfmutter"

0 Likes 0 ·
omglasercats avatar image omglasercats Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thank you, I managed to get it off without issue. I submitted the warranty form with the S/N.

0 Likes 0 ·
scantaluppi avatar image
scantaluppi answered ·

Wy dont you just change to socket? Can you send me a picture of both sides of the PCB? the socket seems to be a standard RJ45 available at any electronic shop. Send me the pictures of the back side. I will appreciate.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page