ddzoomer avatar image
ddzoomer asked

Off grid design modification help

Off grid wildlife monitoring system:

Blue Solar mppt 100/15

3x Victron gel 12v 110Ah (12v)

2 x CanadianSolar 260W Voc 37.5V, Imp 8.56A, pv wired in series

Victron Pheonix inverter 12/180

Running during the summer months this powers 3 poe bullet cameras and poe+ switch, total 35W, and a wireless bridge 25W, all running 24/7.

What changes would be necessary to add to the load a PTZ camera (using high poe injector) with max rating of 50W?

MPPT ControllersPhoenix Inverteroffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It's difficult to answer this without knowing your location and weather conditions.
With your current setup, do you see a full charge regularly?

Your MPPT is quite small for your array, I can imagine that it goes flat out all day long even when it's cloudy.
That MPPT is charging at about ~180W MAX. Your current PV can do 520W MAX.
So, a quick and easy upgrade to a MPPT 100/50 would take full advantage of your PV array and allow you to charge at 520W with your current array.
If you want to have some level of future proofing for more PV then get the biggest MPPT that you can afford.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ddzoomer avatar image
ddzoomer answered ·

@WKirby Thank you, yes I can see the mppt needs to be upgraded.

The location is UK Channel Islands, on remote island with no shading issues. Access is very limited for maintenance and monitoring during the 4 month deployment but for the last 2 seasons we have had no battery issues, however I am concerned with the additional load ,PTZ 50w max. With an upgrade mppt , do you think the 3 Gel batteries will be sufficient? Carrying 30kg batteries in a dingy and over slippery rocks is not much fun!

2 |3000