question

safiery avatar image
safiery asked

MFD integration Difficulties with Simrad

We are trying to connect Venus with Quattro and CANbus Lithium to Simrad NSS12 evo3 Version 19.1.1 and can’t connect.
the error message is “cant connect to MQTT” and an image that doesn’t match the Venus 2.42 screen options. The Venus has MQTT on Lan (SSL) and or (Text).
we have tried every conceivable combination...
see screen shots below.

Advice please to get connected....

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@safiery, have you read through the documentation on the Venus/Simrad integration?

My immediate suspicion -given the exceptional simplicity of integration in most circumstances- tends to land on the RJ45 cable being used and/or the Navico ethernet adapter - have you tried the setup with a different cable and a different ethernet adapter?

It's also mentioned, in the above documentation, to try simply reloading the MFD page by pressing the menu at the top right corner and selecting "Home". If that doesn't work, though, and if you've run through the instructional video and everything appears as it should be but still isn't working, I strongly suggest trying a different ethernet cable and a different ethernet adapter.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

@Justin Cook Thank you for advice. We had tried the "home" refresh several times. Will change to best quality Ethernet cable.

Maybe unrelated, but seek your comments: There is a mismatch of the suggested Venus setup appearing on the Simrad to the 2.42 Venus setup. The 2.42 has a "MQTT on Lan SSL and Text". The Simrad has just "MQTT enabled".

The instruction video and manual doest refer to this 2.42 change. What is the correct selection?

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@safiery that's a good question - the option between SSL and Plaintext was added after the video was made -

GS EDIT - Both SSL and Plaintext should be enabled.

...I'm still most suspicious of the cable/adapter though.

0 Likes 0 ·
safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

@Justin Cook no luck after 2 cable changes. Can’t get it to find MQTT server.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@safiery okay... I'm out of ideas then, so I have made inquiries elsewhere with people who may be more intimately familiar with the integration process to see if there's something else to check. This may be a "contact your distributor" situation but I'm hoping there's something obvious that I'm missing - stay tuned!

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@safiery, it's not an immediate answer, but here is a thread to watch and follow along with troubleshooting/etc... This thread has mvader's attention, so keep an eye out here and try whatever he suggests: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/42924/ccgx-does-not-connect-to-simrad-nss9-evo2.html

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @safiery, please try and install Venus OS v2.51. Which was released today.

It contains a fix wrt Simrad, B&G and Lowrance connectivity. More information in the blogpost:

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2020/03/02/venus-os-v2-51-various-small-improvements/

1 comment
2 |3000

safiery avatar image safiery commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
kevin-horn avatar image
kevin-horn answered ·

Did this update work for you to get connected. I have a similar problem trying to connect a cerbo gx to a simrad evo3. The app shows up but just a white screen when app is pressed. Running ver.2.85 on cerbo and 19.1 on simrad. Any suggestions?

1 comment
2 |3000

sportswagoneer avatar image sportswagoneer commented ·

Have the same problem - White screen when starting the Victron app on the MFD. No firmware or other changes on MFD since last season. The marine app shows up on an iPad at http://venus.local/app/. Also the MFD shows up in the router DHCP list (reserved address), reports being connected to the internet and the other MFD connected apps (Navionics boating and B&G Link for remote) works.
Running latest OS Large on the Cerbo GX with MQTT enabled.
I did just update the firmware on my Teltonika Rut 240 router which now has a separate MQTT software package. Tried installing that, setting the router up both as an MQTT broker (standalone) and with a bridge directed to the Cerbo GX’ IP address. No matter what - just a white screen on MFD when running the Victron app!

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

A long shot but I have found if the CerboGX is not connected to wifi connection problems occur. This may have been resolved with latest software. Please see my earlier post on this issue.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/102159/cerbo-gx-ethernet-integration-with-garmin-8417-mfd.html

Regards

Trevor

2 |3000

dwmarine avatar image
dwmarine answered ·

Have you tried plugging the RJ45 cable directly into the Ethernet port on the Cerbo and then to the Simrad ethernet adaptor? What shows up then?

2 |3000