question

Jono (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Jono (Victron Energy Staff) asked

New Video - What's in the Cerbo GX & Touch GX 50 Screen boxes?

In this video I go through all the kit that comes with the new Victron Energy Cerbo GX and introduce the connections available.

I also discuss the Touch GX 50 screen and see what you get with that.

https://youtu.be/3wheKaU2_qw

cerbo gxgx device
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chris Dobson avatar image Chris Dobson commented ·

We have ours in the workshop. Exciting piece of innovation. We will be installing it on our test boat along with Lithium system, Multiplus and loads of other Victron equipment. Interesting to see if we can get the GPS to work. We have tired inputting from NMEA2000 via an Actisense converter and also tried inputting from NMEA0183 via a Digital Yacht converter with no success.

The touch screen is a nice neat unit, but I wonder If the graphics will be updated at a later date to make them more end user friendly.

The VE CAN now outputting NMEA2000 is another great advantage to the marine world.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Chris Dobson commented ·

It's NMEA2000 out, not in. For GPS you'll still need a dongle.

0 Likes 0 ·
Chris Dobson avatar image Chris Dobson Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

We have been tying to feed NMEA0183 via a dongle into the USB port, not via NMEA2000. We know that this has limitations, but its a step in the right direction.

According to the literature the USB should interpret standard NMEA0183 sentences from a GPS. By using the Digital Yacht interface we are simply feeding NMEA0183 sentences into the unit. Having said that it is from a simulator once installed on teh test boat we can feed real live data. As most marine networks have at least one if not multiple GPS sources it seems a shame that we have to add a low cost USB GPS dongle as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Chris Dobson commented ·

Interesting. I didn't know about that. But makes totally sense. It's 6 different GPS devices on my boat. And I only need one of two them. One dedicated to AIS and one for the network.

I'd be interested in how that's working.

0 Likes 0 ·
Chris Dobson avatar image Chris Dobson Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

The whole integration and remote monitoring has a lot of benefits. We are looking at a single app that is end user friendly and takes data from the NMEA200 network including the Victron data. As you say most marine NMEA 2000 networks have more than one GPS source. We will be looking in much greater detail at the subject when our test boat is up and running. For now I would just be happy for the Venus / Cerbo to recognise the NMEA 0183 data fed into the USB port.

We will post more information at www.ukmel.co.uk/bf2

0 Likes 0 ·

Brilliant. Will follow!

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
John Rushworth avatar image
John Rushworth answered ·

I have updated the blog to include this

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2020/02/06/cerbo-gx-now-on-e-order-and-ready-for-pre-order/

The previous introductory video is here:

https://youtu.be/ojIkmRMqIjI

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petajoule avatar image
petajoule answered ·

Very smart move to include adapters that allow the Cerbo to also be mounted to a DIN rail. Is something like that available for the Venus GX too?

1 comment
2 |3000

The video wasn’t totally clear on this, they are an additional accessory purchased separately and not included in the box.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources