question

dgmar-ni avatar image
dgmar-ni asked

Using LiFePO4 Battery 12,8V/300Ah for a large battery bank

Hello,

I understand for a 48V system the max number of LiFePO4 Battery 12,8V/300Ah is 20 units (4 series by 5 parallel). For a PV system that requires 220kWh in battery bank can can I use multiple sub battery banks of 20 units?

battery chargingLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

For a battery bank with such a capacity I wouldn't use Victron batteries, they are too expensive.
The 12,8V 300Ah Victron battery has a price of 880€/kWh(price list + VAT).
A BYD B-Box 13,8 has a price of around 500€/kWh(average price I found quickly with google in German shops).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cookinwitdiesel avatar image cookinwitdiesel commented ·
But if one was set on using Victron batteries, cost be damned, what are the limitations? I have an install where around 100 kWh is desired but a "max array" of 25.6/200 batteries would be 10 batteries at 51.2 kWh. Is this a hard max or a suggested max? Is the limitation on the ve.bus BMS? Can multiple BMS each with 10 batteries be used on the same ve.bus system?
0 Likes 0 ·
iand avatar image
iand answered ·

If you want a big battery bank, you really should be using batteries designed to be used in such a big bank, including things like cell balancing and monitoring, you can't just put lots in series/parallel and hope that they'll work. For example, the BYD LVL Premium 15.4 is designed and verified for up to 64 batteries (about 1MWh) and also costs a lot less than the Victron batteries.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic