question

stavarda avatar image
stavarda asked

connecting to VRM 24/7

Hello All, wanted to know best way to connect my system to the internet and VRM portal.

System, 24v 8v12 200a Smart Lithiums, VE bus, Cerbro GX and Display, Smart Bluetooth MPPT Quattro 24/5000 230, Boat will be in Thailand and i willl not be there part of the time so want to monitor and have info to the VRM portal. I can get a local sim card with a data bundle so not worried about connectivity.

I see my option are to get the GX GSM and a local Sim Card as mentioned above, read this will be its only function not able to use this Sim with laptops , Smart phones devices.

My other option i see is to get a smart Dongle and get a router, that way i see i would be able to have the system Live and also use of the Data for other devices.

What do people use and what is the most reliable?

thanks

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

I use a router (Teltonika RUT950) on my boat, which has two sim cards. The GX is directly connected to the router. If one of the sim cards fail, the router will switch automatically to the other card. IMO this is the most reliable solution one can have. Can't tell you about the GX GSM since I've never installed one of those.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

The GX GSM is a very neat, easy and reliable solution, with setup via menus within the Venus OS. It also offers a GPS which you may find useful.

I personally have a remote site where I use a 4G D-link wireless router, with a 10m wired network connection between the router and the GX device.

The 4G wireless router I use is supplied with a 12 VDC plug pack, but I run it direct off the battery bank using a small Victron 5A 24v/12v DC-DC converter. My 4G wireless router power draw is only ~3W, which I think is reasonable (CCGX is ~5W).

We also use the same 4G wireless router for other general internet needs on site, which is very handy.

Really upto you in the end...

2 comments
2 |3000

stavarda avatar image stavarda commented ·

what model do you find works well ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ stavarda commented ·

I use a D-Link DWR-921 4G router, which is commonly available.

https://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/DWR-921-4g-lte-router-with-standard-size-sim-card-slot

Has been working well continuesly for the last year or so.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Most ppl would have a spare mobile phone, you could use that to create a wifi hotspot, and connect to that.

2 |3000

Related Resources