question

tuyl avatar image
tuyl asked

Victron Phoenix inverter 12/3000 stuck in overload

I left the inverter on overnight and in the morning the “overload” LED was solid red. I thought that maybe overnight there was a shortcut. So I disconnected the load (nothing was turned on overnight) and turned it back on. LED still solid red. Is anyone experiencing the same problem? Or a way to reset the unit? Thanks in advance

Phoenix Invertererror
image.jpg (3.2 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Tuyl although I'm not particularly familiar with these models, as we don't stock them here in 60hz land, one reset protocol that I've found helpful when working with the MultiPlus 12/3000 inverter/charger is to fully disconnect the device (all AC and DC wiring) and just let it sit for 8-12 hours so the capacitors fully discharge and the device's stored error codes will reset (assuming it's a temporary error and not a sign of another problem entirely). Then, when reconnecting your cables, it's a good time to check for any damaged cables, loose connections, blown fuses, anything like that.

Also, what is your current battery SOC or voltage? If the battery's voltage is not above a certain threshold, the inverter will not turn on... granted, I'd expect a different error code from that, but it could be a contributing factor.

So, to reiterate: I recommend that you disconnect all cables, let the Phoenix sit for 8-12 hours undisturbed. In that time, fully charge your battery(s) and double-check all the cabling to the Phoenix for any damage, corrosion, or loose connections/poor crimps/anything like that. After 8 to 12 hours, reconnect the system and see if the unit returns to normal operation. If it does not, it may be time to contact your dealer for more advanced troubleshooting/repair.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tuyl avatar image
tuyl answered ·

@Justin Cook I disconnected the battery and load from the inverter for around 20 hours and reconnected it. When I turned it back on the overload light was still on. Thanks for thinking with me, my search goes further :).

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

If you get the overload immediately even with disconnected AC-loads the device is faulty you should contact your dealer for a RMA.

0 Likes 0 ·
tuyl avatar image
tuyl answered ·

in this reply I’m adding a video file. When I turn it back on now it’s starting up and making this weird sound. I think there might be something shorting out in the circuit.

I bought the unit secondhand so altho I might find a dealer that can fix it I always got to pay full fee. So I’d prefer to find a fix myself. But if it’s badly damaged I gotta get it done by a professional.

1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

I have not been able to play the file, but while a dealer intervention may well be on the cards, it could be worth while open up and blowing out dust or critters that have been known to play havoc inside some systems. Fingers crossed. Ensure it is disconnected from all power sources given electricity is dangerous or ask a qualified individual to do it.

0 Likes 0 ·
tuyl avatar image
tuyl answered ·

The sound seems to be coming from the right side of the back of the unit.

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Tuyl, dang... I just listened to the video and yeah, that's definitely not sounding good. How old is the unit? You can tell by looking at the serial number (which should be on the white sticker at the right side center-ish of the main board); the four numbers that follow the "HQ" will tell you the year and week the unit was manufactured (ie, HQ1745xxxxxx means that it was manufactured in the 45th week of 2017).

I understand that you purchased this unit used, but if it's an HQ15 serial number or higher, you should still be able to contact a distributor for warranty work. Victron also has a handy tool for finding the original dealer of the unit based on the serial number; not sure how many years back the database goes, but it's worth a shot. Even if the serial indicates that it's older than 5 years, it's very possible that a dealer would work with you on getting a new unit to replace it.

1 comment
2 |3000

tuyl avatar image tuyl commented ·

@Justin Cook wow that’s very helpful! I will try to contact that dealer. Thanks for these tips! I also contacted the person who I bought it from. I might also get some information from him.
thanks a lot! I’ll keep this page up to date with progress.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

I have a 2nd hand MP800va. The moment I connect AC_In, the inverter overloads with nothing connected to the AC_Out1. Just batteries and AC_IN connected.

Titbit: To discharge the capacitors, once all cables (AC and battery) are disconnected, switch it back on. That always drains the caps very quickly.

I do it as a rule actually, because once the battery cables are disconnected and they accidentally touch, it tends to give a spark, your heart will stop.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic