question

flip-flops avatar image
flip-flops asked

What Assistants Should I Load - Marine/ Lithium with Solar

System - 600 AH 12.8v LifePo4, BMV 702, MPPT 100/30 x3, Multiplus 3000 120-50, Phoenix Inverter 12/350 115vand 12/350 230v, Isolation Transformer 3600, ve.bus BMS and Colorcontrol Gx. Fitted to sailboat.

I've run with the Ve.Bus Lithium Assistant for almost two years and having recently upgraded my Solar system to almost 1200 watts. Plus being in a marina for the first time in about that long , I'm noticing a few gremlins in my current settings. The 100/30's on my Color control show Mode: ESS State: Ess however with shore power connected on occasion the output will be zero from Solar. Move Limit Charge Current to off and solar charge is restored for awhile then the same issue. Turning it on then works for awhile. Unplugging shore power solves the issue. Should I delete the Lithium assistant and load an ESS Assistant?

Lithium BatteryCCGX Color ControlAssistantsMPPT Control display
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

There are multiple options, what I've done is ad a switch for the customer to not fully charge the batteries on shore power, so the solar power is used as much as possible. by turning this switch off, the battery is fully charged by shore power (sometimes that's wanted)

I'm using the 'generator start/stop' assistant, wiring the switch through the K2 relay to the aux1 input to ignore AC input.

with LFP batteries it's probably best to use SOC instead of DC-input voltage.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michael Riley avatar image Michael Riley commented ·

@Boekel. Just read this post. Would you be willing to share some wiring diagrams or a little more information regarding how you achieved your stated objective. You have two screenshots the same - was this intentional or was there another VE.configure one intended? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Michael Riley commented ·

Hi @michael, I only intended to add one screenshot, don't know where the other (duplicate) link came from.

I'm willing to share wiring, but it is very straightforward, and as I think someone that implements these assistants should have some electrical knowledge, I want to warn: only use this if you are capable!

functions:

1a Charge up to x% on shore power (to fully use solar power)

1b Fully charge on shore power (when needed)

2a 16 Amp shore power supply

2b 10 A or less shore power supply - reduce charge current - switch to battery when high AC-loads.

Both functions use the 'ignore AC2 input' option.

1 uses input aux1

2 uses input aux2

1 closed switch to relay2, relay2 to aux1 input

2 closed switch to aux2 and relay1, relay 1 (n.c.) to temp sense input

aux

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Riley avatar image Michael Riley boekel ♦ commented ·

Thanks. Seems that a 'lot of options' also means that no-one knows how many to load. 'Capable' - understood. When I was eighteen I was a genius; at 30 I had learnt even more and realised I knew even less; at 60+ now I have a lifetime of experience and now am less capable than I ever was. The more I read I realise the less I know. I am (was) a LAME (actually a certified aircraft engineer - we didn't get licences.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Michael Riley commented ·

It's just switching input to ground, some via a relay in the Multi itself :)

Too easy to draw, and keeps away people that have no idea of how things work. I'm sure you'll be fine in wiring / programming it.

Usually you first get it to work, test normal function, then implement all extra's one by one to make sure it works as you want it to work.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Riley avatar image Michael Riley boekel ♦ commented ·

Too true. Got a few things on the plate at the moment - getting ready to depart Australia for six months or so in the South Pacific. Thanks for your input. Regards

0 Likes 0 ·
flip-flops avatar image
flip-flops answered ·

So which is the more correct assistant to be running for my marine use the Lithium assistant or the ESS Assistant?

Thanks

2 |3000

Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

@Flip-Flops. I have a similar configuration and was wondering what the outcome to the question about which assistants should be loaded. What did you end up with? Thanks in advance.

1 comment
2 |3000

flip-flops avatar image flip-flops commented ·

@Michael Riley,

I never did get a straight answer only thread drift.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?