question

ehsab avatar image
ehsab asked

ESS exporting to grid, not the way i thought.

Hi,

Dont have my computer atm so im writing on my phone.
I have an ESS system configured to minimum SOC at 95%.
It was my understanding that when solar was available it would primarily power the load and secondary charge the battery and then if still available export to grid.

I feel that my system export to grid far too much or easy or how to say.
look at this picture.

Even when i have configured Zero-feedin it still exports to grid.

And why does the AC load drop to 0W when there is solar? I would still like to see the output power.

What have i missed?

I see so many wrong things on below picture.

gridFronius
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @ehsab

Did you read the manual?
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual#ess_battery_status_reason_code_numbers

try without 'battery life', and try 'keep batteries charged'

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ehsab avatar image ehsab commented ·

Hi Daniël,
Thank you for answering my post (i also noticed how many others you have answered tonight).

I have been reading the ESS manual for a couple of weeks, and studied it on and off for a couple of months before i ordered my system. Perhaps i just don't get it even when i read it and need them explained with examples (other than in the manual).

I noticed that i had to edit the modbus parameters on the Fronius webinterface in order to use Zero feed-in, so now i assume it will work since the option is active in ESS menu.

What i don't get is how the system can export more current then the solar generates at the same time the battery is being charged?
And why the AC load falls to 0W (displayed) when i know i have atleast a couple of hundred watts in load.

So are you saying that with ESS Mode Optimized (with batterylife) the priority where solarpower should go is different and dont have the priority 1 - go to loads, 2 - go charge battery and 3 - export it?

I have perhaps misunderstood the option "Keep batteries charged", but will it not charge up to 100%, i now see that that option is perhaps the one i want (keep batteries at 95% and let solar charge the rest as a buffer).

Thank you for taking the time to help this community.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ ehsab commented ·

from your screenshot: #1 and #2:

• #1: SOC is low

• #2: BatteryLife is active

this has a negative effect on normal charging, from what I read you want the batteries charged all the time, so using 'keep batteries charged' is probably best.

The AC numbers: did you configure the PV inverter correctly? if it's on the output, and you've configured it as on the input, you'll get strange numbers.

Also small differences can happen due to different update rates of PV inverter and the victron's readings.

0 Likes 0 ·
ehsab avatar image ehsab Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

I do have my Fronius on the ACout of the Quattros, and i have configured the Fronius according to the ESS manual (4.3.11) but i had missed to set the DNO priority, this is done now.
What specific settings should be done if the Fronius is connected on ACin or ACout side of the Quattros?

My goal is to have a buffert lets say 10% of the batterybank that should only be charged from solar. The grid should only charge the batterybank if the SOC is below this (90%) which would only occur if the grid have failed.

I'll see how it performs tomorrow when the sun comes up.

Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
ehsab avatar image ehsab Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you Daniël, my Fronius was not correctly configured. It was configured for ACin1.

I'm getting more and more on track :)

0 Likes 0 ·