question

matejs avatar image
matejs asked

VE.Bus Smart Dongle temperature sense

Hi,

VE.Bus Smart Dongle produce page states:

Secondly it can work as a Voltage- and Temperature-sense device for the inverter/charger. This works with all models, and is especially useful in combination with the MultiPlus-II, as it does not have on-board terminals for Voltage- and Temperature sense wiring

... on-line manual:

On MultiPlus-II models the dongle is, at present, the only way to add an “on-battery” sensing capability.

and:

Likewise, the dongle also monitors VE.Bus communication in order to discover if a Venus-device is supplying the Multi with battery voltage and temperature data. It takes around 4 minutes after power on, or reset, before the dongle decides whether or not to transmit the battery voltage and temperature.

Now, I have MultiPlus II (that is without battery temperature sense capability) and GCCX Venus device. From what I read, I expect that dongle would provide battery temperature data (since there is none present on the bus), but it seems that it does not! When I do dbus-spy there is no signs of battery temperature at all.

I am confused. It seems that VE.Bus Smart Dongle is practically useless (it just provides battery voltage and temperature over bluetooth) when there is GCCX Venus device is present on the bus... or am I wrong. My plan was that VE.Bus Smart Dongle would provide battery temperature to the system.

Thanks,

Matej

temperatureVE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jpasop (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
jpasop (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi Matej,

The VE.Bus Smart Dongle does send the battery temperature and voltage directly to the MultiPlus-II. The reason why you do not see the temperature on the CCGX using dbus-spy is that the Venus versions up to and including V2.22 do not read the temperature back from the Multi.

Kind regards,

Jos

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matejs avatar image matejs commented ·

I have updated CCGX firmware to 2.23 and now I see the temperature in dbus-spy. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

jpasop (Victron Energy Staff) answered that updating CCGX firmware 2.23 reports battery temperature in dbus-spy. See above for the answer. Accept.

0 Likes 0 ·

I have updated the manual for this accessory. It now accurately describes the behaviour in various scenarios.

Thanks for asking this question MatejS and leading us to improve the documentation.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vebus_smart_dongle_manual

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

What state are the ports in. It's just an idea.
Despite the lack of sensors, the actual inputs might need to be disabled on the CCGX.

1545474240841.png (34.4 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Nothing here.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ matejs commented ·

Of course, it's a CCGX. My mistake, sorry I'm out of ideas.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Found a use for my VE bus smart dongle!

image.jpeg (981.3 KiB)
2 |3000

matejs avatar image
matejs answered ·

So, the dongle has is useless if there is Venus device in the system?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic