question

dunnp avatar image
dunnp asked

VE.Bus Smart Dongle conflicting wih remote switch

I have just added a VE.Bus Smart Dongle to my MutliPlus Compact in my caravan, and the remote switch (simple 3-way toggle) will not work (ie won't turn the MultiPlus off) while the dongle is connected. If I remove the RJ45 from the dongle it works correctly.

It seems the Smart Dongle is over-riding the remote input. I know I can do remote control from VictronConnect but that's not as convenient as flicking a switch.

DS1 and DS2 are off (as they should be for the remote switch to work). Firmware is 2606430.

Am I missing something?

Will this still be an issue if I replace the 3-way switch with a Digital Multi Control?

Any help appreciated.

Phil

VE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

A Multi or Quattro can only be switched on or of by one device. No multiple means of on/off devices are possible.

So this can be only one of the following and combinations are not possible:

• Multi Control Panel
  • CCGX or other Venus device
  • a remote on/off switch
  • VE.Bus smart dongle
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tomf avatar image tomf commented ·
Sure.

So I would like to have remote switch for manage (On/Off/Charge Only) but
VE.Bus smart dongle just only for status preview. Its possible?

0 Likes 0 ·
tomf avatar image tomf tomf commented ·

@Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff)

Its not true (only half).

I used 3 way switch in Multi. And works perfectly till I add VE.Bus Smart dongle.

I could turn on via: Smart Dongle, 3-Way switch.
I could change status "Charge only" via: Smart Dongle, 3-Way switch. I couldn't turn off (via 3-way Switch). Only via Smart Dongle.

And its a bug.

zrzut-ekranu-2022-03-16-o-235632.png

0 Likes 0 ·
lars-uthberg avatar image
lars-uthberg answered ·

I have the same experience when installing a VE.Bus smart dongle to use it as a remote voltage sens for Multiplus C 12/1600/70 and got a miss match function with external switch .

I do not need the function in Smart dongle to maneuver multiplus just the voltage sens.

Is there anyone who knows if there is a solution or work around where I can use an external switch to control multiplus c together with a remote voltage sens ?

best regards Lars

@Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff)

2 |3000

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

Is this still how this functions? I'm trying to get away from having to buy a multi panel as I don't have space for it, so I'm going to be using a manual switch. However I wanted to buy this just so I could adjust the AC input current on the fly on the off chance I use shore power.

2 |3000

big-ste avatar image
big-ste answered ·

Did you get the remote switch to work and if so how, I have the same issue in my caravan

1 comment
2 |3000

Please read Margreet's answer.

0 Likes 0 ·
mobile-solar-consulting avatar image
mobile-solar-consulting answered ·

Ran into same issue last week. One workaround we found was "Safety Switch" Assistant. One of the additional inputs (aux1 for example) can be programmed to turn the inverter off when closed. This overrides the command in the VE.Bus Smart Dongle. However, you cannot turn the inverter ON with the safety switch if it is set to OFF in the VE.Bus Smart Dongle. So there is that one snag.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic