question

msitarzewski avatar image
msitarzewski asked

MultiPlus 24/3000/70 AC Input from 12v inverter powered by an alternator (F350)

I'd like to leverage a spare 1,500 watt 12v inverter on cloudy days as AC input for PowerAssist while we drive. The 12v inverter is powered by the alternator in my F350 and it works perfectly. The challenge is when I connect the output of the 12v inverter to the input of the MultiPlus. The MultiPlus clicks, the 12v inverter maxes its load, and nothing further happens. I've set the input limit to 9 amps. What am I missing?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerPhoenix Inverteralternatorpowerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nightcrawler avatar image
nightcrawler answered ·

It may be worth enabling "Dynamic current limiter" to see how the 1500w inverter responds. I would think the inverter would be fine with 9a (9x120=1080w).

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

msitarzewski avatar image msitarzewski commented ·

This did in fact solve the problem!

1 Like 1 ·

I like this idea... will give it a shot. Thank you. The math works from what I can tell.

0 Likes 0 ·
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

This is not an ideal situation.

• What type of inverter are you using? Is it a sine-wave inverter?
  • Is the 1500W rating the continuous rating?
  • 1500W at 230 Volt equates to 6 Amp, not 9 Amp.
  • But to make it work you probably need to set the AC input current limit even lower.

But there are no guarantees that this will work at all. Our usual advice is that the AC input source should be at least the same as the MultiPlus rating.

If it does not work, consider using a DC/DC or buck boost converter between the alternator and the house battery instead. See here.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you for the reply. It's a 120v, pure sine 1500 watt continuous, 2000 watt burst.

0 Likes 0 ·