question

luis avatar image
luis asked

Unexpected change in battery charging strategy

I have an ESS system with 3 BYD 10 kWh and PV Inverter in AC out. I have set the ESS mode "Optimized (With BatteryLife)". The system has been working properly for months, with the strategy to take as less energy as possible from the Grid.

For a couple of days, the system has changed its behaviour (without changing any parameter). Now the battery has been permanently charged for the last two days.

I wonder if this is a battery maintenance strategy, in order to keep its SOH as higher as possible. Otherwise, I see no reason for this behaviour.

battery chargingBYD
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
luis avatar image
luis answered ·

It seems that the Multis were set to Charger Only, not physically, but in the CCGX configuration (Multi --> Switch --> Charger Only). Just changed it to ON an everything is working fine again

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Luis

Using 'battery life' is very unusual for lithium batteries, this is a function meant for lead-acid batteries.

Please try restarting the multi's.

2 comments
2 |3000

luis avatar image luis commented ·

I think the CCGX or the Multis lost configuration. I have:

When I should have:

I assume I have to reboot ESS via the MK2 cable to the Multis?

0 Likes 0 ·
1570608132650.png (16.9 KiB)
1570608271420.png (133.0 KiB)

@Luis

That's strange... Just set it back to 'Optimized without battery life' and it should be good I think. If it happens again please come back.

0 Likes 0 ·