question

Darlene avatar image
Darlene asked

Can I install a BYD battery without including a CerboGX?

I'm trying to keep my system as simple as possible, with just the safety of the battery in mind, not a lot of cool gadgetry. Can I put a BYD LVL 15.4kWh battery in my system in place of the bank of lead acid batteries, and rely on settings of the solar charger (SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/100) and the Multiplus 5000/70, with lithium mode activated, to keep the cells within their required ranges? Are there specific MPPT settings for lithium batteries? I want to emphasize that it's battery health that is the priority. If an additional device is required for that, I'm in, but if I can rely on the existing equipment to do the job well I don't want to acquire bling. Info in the Multiplus settings around enabling lithium mode mentions BYD batteries in conjunction with a Cerbo. What happens if there is no Cerbo? I've heard from a number of people now they aren't essential. If I did have one, can someone please provide a link to clear information about how to connect it into a system comprising a BYD battery, a solar controller and a Multi. Thanks in advance.

battery chargingBYD
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Technically you can but you really shouldn't. It is a managed battery and needs to control the system to balance properly. Without this connection you would need a shunt and you would still want DVCC to control charging,

I would not recommend it.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Darlene avatar image Darlene commented ·
I watched a clip explaining how to set up a BYD LVL battery, and the Cerbo wasn't shown. Can you please tell me where on the BYD battery the GX device connects? If I end up going with Pylontech instead of BYD, where does the GX connect to that battery bank?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Darlene commented ·

All batteries connect to BMS can. The byd is easy to configure via their app. They require an external BMU which connects the battery to the GX.

The link I sent you on your other post has the full steps how to do it.

1 Like 1 ·
Darlene avatar image Darlene nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I've just gone back to the other post, about the smart lithium batteries, but for some reason can't find your comment, or a link. Could I ask you to re-post it, please? Does Pylontech need anything else, like a BMU, as the BYD battery does?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
@Darlene

The BYD will switch off if there is no GX connected. It needs the keep alive signal.

All instructions are in @nickdb link above.

For pylontec the GX is also a requirement. Google the Victron Pylon page.

1 Like 1 ·