question

Matias Käkelä avatar image
Matias Käkelä asked

EasySolar 1600/24 + Victron Lifepo4 Smart + Smart BMS V2 not working

I have troubles getting this combination to work: EasySolar 1600/24 + Victron Lifepo4 Smart + Smart BMS V2

I've upgraded 2 x 12v AGM batteries in my existing system to a single Lifepo5 Smart battery.

I have Smart BMS V2 to monitor the new battery.

The problem is that once I connect BMS's "Multiplus/Quattro" socket to EasySolar's VE Bus rj45 socket the inverter alarm signal turns on and the inverter does not work any more.

The BMS "Status" led illuminates for a second with blue light when it is connected to EasySolar but does not appear to stay illuminated.

Moreover, I've tried to get the BMS to be visible in Venus OS on a Raspberry PI but to no avail. I've also tried to connect Raspberry Pi to BMS's Remote Panel using lan cable but without success.

I wonder what my options are?

* Is BMS v2 compatible with EasySolar or have I been sold a wrong product?
* If BMS v2 is not compatible with SmartSolar what would be? BMS v1 smallBMS?

BMSEasySolar All-in-Onelifepo
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matias Käkelä answered ·

Ok, I got it mostly working.

Namely, I realized that there are dip switches in EasySolar that need to be adjusted for BMS. That I did. But that was not enough; after a while I realized that EasySolar's MultiPlus has too old firmware. I updated that and the inverter started to work. I did that using MK3 USB and Victron Connect.

However, now I have another problem. Namely I can't get DCVV to work - it does not see the BMS. I wonder if that's even possible with Raspberry Pi? All the schematics suggest that in order to get GX to control BMS you need to connect Remote Panel socket in the BMS to VE bus in GX device. Raspberry's network socket didn't work, so I wonder if I just need to invest in a proper GX device?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Matias Käkelä I can't get DCVV to work

For DVCC to work accurately it is best to have a BMV / SmartShunt in the system, for precise battery voltage and current measurements.

You can use the multi as the battery monitor, though with less voltage and current accuracy. (uncompensated battery voltage, and GX calculated current)

Remote console > settings > system setup > battery monitor > multiplus.

The BMS does not know battery current, or battery voltage.

2 comments
2 |3000

Matias Käkelä avatar image Matias Käkelä commented ·
Thank you kindly for your support! I have a shunt (712) and that’s visible in the battery monitor in DCVV settings.

However BMS is not found in dcvv settings. It just says something like “BMS detected: none”.

So I believe bms can’t currently protect the lifelong battery from over or under charging?

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell Matias Käkelä commented ·
The VE Bus BMS does not take over control of the chargers by DVCC during normal operation like a fully featured BMS like the Lynx. Therefore, the inverter and MPPT still need to be programmed with lithium charge profiles. What the VE Bus BMS does is when charging or discharging need to be stopped because of under voltage / over voltage / temperature etc. then it sets CCL or DCL to 0. Perhaps this is what you are seeing.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matias Käkelä answered ·

Hmm… I found this https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/256027/dvcc-with-vebus-bms-v2-cerbo-gx-mppt-smart-solar-1.html

In my mppt settings it says that “bms controlled: yes” but in dcvv settings “bms detected: none”. But seems this might be expected, albeit very confusing wording.

2 |3000

Matias Käkelä answered ·

Thanks for the replies. Given what I've learned, I have two follow-up questions:

VE.Bus BMS V2 has Load Disconnect and Charge Disconnect inputs. If I have DCVV enabled, should I still wire them up in addition to DCVV? Or can I trust that when I see, e.g., my MPPT being "BMS controlled," I don't have a problem with possible overcharging?

Related to the previous question, I believe that BMS also has remote panel input. Currently, I have nothing attached to it as I run Venus OS in RasPi, which does not have a VE Bus connector. Still, DCVV is successfully enabled and devices like the MPPT are BMS enabled. Therefore, it's unclear to me what is gained by connecting the GX device to the Remote Panel input. If I have DCVV enabled but BMS connected to GX, is DCVV really working?

2 |3000