question

kevinc avatar image
kevinc asked

Batteries stopped charging/discharging

Hi, my system has been running well for over a year, looking at the VRM app today i see that the batteries have stopped charging and discharging, with the batteries being stuck at 29% since the 4th of April. They should have been chanrginf and discharging daily.

Looking at the remote console notifications there allot of messages saying "Low battery voltage" from the multiplus2.

To try and resolve i swithced the pylontech battereies on and off but now the remote console says batteries anot connected and MPPT says error 67

Will it take a little time for the batteries to auto connect or is there other problems?

Multiplus-IIcerbo gxPylontechmppt rs
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@KevinC

If the pylontec is not appearing under the devices list, then battery Comms are the issue. Check the can cable and set up there.

Error 67 means the same thing. The battery is not communicating.

So that is the side to troubleshoot.

1 Like 1 ·
kevinc avatar image kevinc Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thanks Alexandres, i have everything communicating now but there is still no power going into or out of the batteries
0 Likes 0 ·
18 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@KevinC

Is the fuse between the battery and the system ok?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

duivert avatar image duivert commented ·
good point! @Alexandra
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

or the pylontecs BMS has turned the battery off, maybe a cell issue, so check your bms readings

1 comment
2 |3000

kevinc avatar image kevinc commented ·
Thanks Paul, where would i find the bms readings, i only have the VRM app and do not see it on there.

Everything is communicating now but no power goes into or out of the battery (from grid or solar)

The power lights are flashing on the battery so they look switched on, however on the Remote console/ notifications Multi plus -11 is getting a Low battery voltage alarm.

At present, i am getting power from the MPPT but it will only go through to the inverter to get used for AC loads and Grid. If change my Battery SOC setting from 10 to above the current battery level to force a charge, then power from the MPPT goes to zero

0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

VRM app > remote console > device list > pylontech battery

there you can see all the available pylontech data

2 |3000

kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

so looking in the battery section i see no problems although i dont really know what i am looking for, there is nothing obvious.

Details, there are 0 modules offline

Nr of modules blocking charge / discharge zero

Alarms, all say ok

Module level alarms is blank

Device, connected is Yes

7 comments
2 |3000

That looks fine indeed, maybe check all your other settings in the gx,

Under settings, dvcc should be forced on by the pylontech bms

0 Likes 0 ·
kevinc avatar image kevinc duivert commented ·

Here are the dvcc settings, are they ok? screenshot-20240415-183128-vrm.jpgscreenshot-20240415-183150-vrm.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image duivert kevinc commented ·
Yeah looks ok
0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri commented ·
Also, get software from Pylontech to look inside each module.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevinc avatar image kevinc Fideri commented ·
This sounds like it may be above my pay grade, i am the homeowner with no real experience with this.

Would it be hard to do?

0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image duivert kevinc commented ·
Did you install the system yourself or let a installer do it? In the last case you might want to contact them before chaning settings yourself

Checking the batterys with pylontech software is an option, but without technical understanding its not recommended

0 Likes 0 ·
I had one of my friends install it, he does install systems but this was his first victron system.

Yes i agree, if this is not an easy fix i will contact him.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

This is the only notification that i am getting now, can you confirm i am getting this on the multiplus because there is no power flowing from the pylontech batteries

screenshot-20240416-083512-vrm.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

what is the actual battery voltage?

0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

maybe also follow all steps in these manuals with your friend, to see if everything is setup right:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

and if your system is configured as ESS:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/index-en.html

there is a chapter in the ESS manual about low battery alarms:

10.5. Q5: How can I suppress low battery warnings?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevinc avatar image kevinc commented ·
Thanks.

The system was up and running for over a year so i asume it was set up correctly.

I assume the low battery warning is because there is no power coming from or going to the battery?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

Here are some screenshots showing battery info

screenshot-20240416-105433-vrm.jpgscreenshot-20240416-105307-vrm.jpgscreenshot-20240416-105733-vrm.jpg

2 |3000

duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

what is in the pylontech parameters in remote console?

VRM app > remote console > device list > pylontech battery > parameters

2 |3000

duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

you could also check with the victron connect app (different app then vrm app) what your mppt settings are, should be these values:

MPPT Parameter Setting
Battery voltage. 48V
Absorption voltage 52V
2 |3000

kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

Here is the battery parameters from the remote console

screenshot-20240416-131027-vrm.jpg

2 |3000

kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

Looking at the Victron connect app, i do not see mppt settings.

What do i want to connect to with the victron connect app, is it the mppt or cerbo?

This is what i see whaen connecting to the mppt, i do notice when looking here that sometimes the battery voltage is over 53.2V, could that be the problem?

screenshot-20240416-131553.jpgscreenshot-20240416-131504.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

mppt, click on the gearwheel for settings

battery readings in your last preview are not the battery it self, its the DC bus voltage

0 Likes 0 ·
ah, what is the path to the parameters you need, i cant see them.
0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

mppt > gearwheel > battery

2 |3000

kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

Sorry, i see it now

Looks like they are correct?

screenshot-20240416-140735.jpgscreenshot-20240416-140742.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

yes looks good... i don't see why its not charging the battery's... it should do that

did you already try to restart the whole system? by turning everything off and restart

(connected equipment on AC out will turn off also!)

0 Likes 0 ·
Yeh, i had done that and just did it again now to be sure. Still the same problem
0 Likes 0 ·
kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

The fuses visually look ok but i have not had an electriciaqn check them.

20240416-152448.jpg

2 |3000

kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

If these fuses blow is there any visual signs or would the victron system pick it up and give a warning?

No power is going into or out of the battery and if you guys dont see any problems with the settings, indeed i guess this might be the problem.

If i switch everything off and remove the fuse might it show visual signs on the hidden side?

1 comment
2 |3000

Could be visual signs best is to measure it with an ohm or continuity tester
0 Likes 0 ·
kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

Thanks guys, i have ordered a new fuse and plan to swap it over tomorrow, lets wait and see.

4 comments
2 |3000

did you have an change to measure the fuse or was it visualy broken?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ duivert commented ·
The window is on the other side. They would have to be removed to visually check them .
0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image duivert Alexandra ♦ commented ·

i know, i was just wondering if it really was only broken a fuse :)

0 Likes 0 ·
i didnt check it or take it out, i will do that tomorrow when the new one arrives and i will just swap it over.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

Thanks again guys.

The new Mega fuse arrived this morning so i switched everything off and removed the old fuse, indeed on the hidden side there was a window which did show it had blown, i have no idea why it would not be installed with the window visable!

I replaced it with the new fuse and everything is working now :)

20240418-104552.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

great to hear the problem is solved!
0 Likes 0 ·
kevinc avatar image
kevinc answered ·

Yes i know, a big thanks to you and Alexandra for getting to the bottom of this

2 |3000