question

wout991 avatar image
wout991 asked

EMUS BMS integration with Cerbo gx

So far I have tried the tips & tricks from the other posts but I have two problems occuring:

1. BMS does not show in cerbo GX

2. When I connect the CAN to the Cerbo, the BMS loses directly the communication with the connected CAN cel module and it's cells.

What I have tried so far:

- Connect pin 7&8 (RJ45) to CanH and CanL of BMS & connect pin 3 to GND

- Connected 120 Ohm at BMS side and used the Victron termination at cerbo side, when measuring I measure a good 60 Ohms.

- Tried all CAN speeds, however I know I need 500kbscan-configuration.png

- Tried EMUS firmware 2.10-victron, 2.9.2-victron, 2.9.1-victron

- Tried VE.BUS & VE.CAN and set VE.CAN port to 'CAN-Bus BMS (500kbit/s)'

The network status does show that there are packages delivered, however they are all errors.

screenshot-2024-04-02-at-170405.png

I ordered a CAN splitter (or filter), hope that will help.. but Im kinda out of options.. Anyone?

cerbo gxBMSVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
wout991 avatar image
wout991 answered ·

Thanks @lc1977 !!! I fixed the problem.

The cerbo was connected to a different GND then the G1. So when connecting the UTP pin 3 to GND of the G1, it didn't work.

When connecting the G1 and Cerbo to the same GND everything worked at once.

Thanks to you @lc1977 I re-route my entire CAN bus and came to this conclusion =) Pff, you will always find the problem on a place where you would never think the problem is..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The cerbo has bms can ports already at 500kb there is no need to fiddle with vecan which is for victron devices.

Vebus is not for this, from a cerbo perspective the connectivity is well documented in its manual.

As an unsupported BMS you need to speak to the BMS manufacturer to see if they support the native victron messaging over CAN. Just having a CAN port doesn’t mean it works..

1 comment
2 |3000

wout991 avatar image wout991 commented ·

Im sorry. I meant the VE.CAN and the BMS.CAN. I read somewhere that you can use the VE.CAN for the Emus, that's why I was trying this port too. Also kind of out of desperation..

0 Likes 0 ·
lc1977 avatar image
lc1977 answered ·

Emus works perfectly with Cerbo GX, I will check my config details and report back

1 comment
2 |3000

wout991 avatar image wout991 commented ·
That would be great! My guess is it's the combination of the cerbo firmware with the right emus firmware.. Would be great to know which you used.
0 Likes 0 ·
lc1977 avatar image
lc1977 answered ·

Sounds like your settings are correct. I have CAN open disabled as I believe it's only needed for integration with certain Dana motor controllers in traction applications. If your using can cell modules (cgm) for cell board coms I suggest configuring the cell groups at default 250kbps with Cerbo disconnected from Emus can bus, then change emus bus speed to 500kbps and ensure CAN is working correctly between G1 and CGM modules at 500kbps, then establish comms with Cerbo. Presume you have a number of 3 way can splitter on buss or wiring to enable strict bus topology? Cerbo (BMS can port, 120r term in second port if end of buss) splitters used to branch off bus with short stub to G1 then buss continues to next splitter with short branch to cgm, bus continues to next splitter and so on subject to number of cgm in pack. Last splitter hs termination. I am using the emus splitters but they are simply passive electrical splitters. You shouldn't need the can filter. If you have portable scope, very useful to check frame integrity and if noise or other wiring issue. Also double check can hi can lo pin out on G1.

1000018809.jpg1000018810.jpg

1000018810.jpg (3.4 MiB)
1000018809.jpg (2.8 MiB)
2 |3000

lc1977 avatar image
lc1977 answered ·

Emus firmware is 2.10.0_Victron and Cerbo is V3.13

2 |3000