question

gocfella avatar image
gocfella asked

Easysolar connectivity uncertainty...

I have an Easysolar 2 GX 48/5000. I was under the impression that BMS-CAN was the port I would use to communicate with my Seplos V3 bms. The manual for the Victron shows ports labelled BMS-CAN. On the actual unit I was surprised to see 2 ports labelled VE.BUS and 2 labelled VE.CAN. There doesn't appear to be a BMS.CAN port as referenced in guides and the manual itself.

Could anybody advise me why this is and what I should do? I think that VE.CAN is a proprietary implementation of canbus but I am assuming one of the ports can, by settings or by default, function the same way as the BMS-CAN port I expected to see?

I also wonder whether one of the Victron cables (a or b) will suit this application without mofification or should I just make one up myself? Thank you.

EasySolar All-in-OneVE.Can
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

The manual also says VE.CAN not supported.

Please post a picture of the connection panel at the base of the EasySolar.

0 Likes 0 ·
gocfella avatar image gocfella kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Yes it does say that in the manual.img-20240401-041558-edit-1161858380385213.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

That looks like an older unit. Log into the GX and go to settings, services, VE CAN port.

See if you can change the profile from 250kb to 500kb BMS CAN.

10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Looks just like mine from last year...

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Wrt the docs all the current ones should be labelled BMS CAN, unless this is an error:

0 Likes 0 ·
img-1592.jpeg (274.8 KiB)
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

The current manual shows the VE.CAN pair in the photo as BMS-CAN.

Can't check mine for a few weeks, it's 1400kM away.

But we haven't answered the cable question, and I have no idea about Seplos.

0 Likes 0 ·
gocfella avatar image gocfella nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I bought this unit very recently and the paper manual in the box doesn't match. I hope it's not old stock but perhaps? Even if it were you would think it would have a matching manual in box?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ gocfella commented ·
There is a serial number on the unit, starts with HQ. Following 4 numbers show year and week of manufacture.

So HQ2403 means made in week 3 of 2024.

However the latest manuals are always available in pdf format from the product page which the system has linked to below.

0 Likes 0 ·

Ahh yes ok. Mine is HQ2306 so less than a year old. My paper manual seems to match the up to date manual online which show BMS-CAN but anyhow I will see what the menu options look like when I power it up hopefully tomorrow. Havent crimped cables yet or mounted fuseholder. I am optimistically assuming that these VE.CAN ports can fulfil the same function.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ gocfella commented ·
I think it must be a batch with an incorrectly printed socket description. I'll pass it on to Victron for comment.
1 Like 1 ·

That might be the case. It was set to function as VE.CAN by default but I could change it to "BMS-Can 500kb/s" (or a few other protocols) in the menu so hopefully all is well.

0 Likes 0 ·
gocfella avatar image gocfella commented ·
Ok I will try that but it's not powered yet so in a couple of days.
0 Likes 0 ·
gocfella avatar image gocfella gocfella commented ·

Ok I powered up the unit temporarily and I am able to change the VE.CAN port to "CAN-bus BMS 500kb/s" mode in the menu as you described. Cannot test it yet without cable but it appears I won't have a problem. I will update when I actually have it functioning.2024-04-02-22-20-24.png

1 Like 1 ·
gocfella avatar image
gocfella answered ·

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/122373/will-the-current-easysolar-ii-gx-get-bluetooth-and.html

Going by this thread and the included chagelog which I missed previously, it seems that the newer units (mid to late 2022 onwards) are labelled VE.CAN purposely and can be set to several protocols and speeds including BMS-Can 500 kbs. This is an upgrade on the older units which could only use BMS-Can. They just haven't updated the manual to reflect the change it seems. Mine is identified as rev2 in the menus so there you go. Think that is my answer.

As for Seplos communication I have gotten pinout data from Seplos so I will make cable up with Victron pinout one end and Seplos on the other. Shouldn't be any problems in theory now. Somebody elsewhere said Victron VE.CAN type A worked for them but it is at a silly price and it would take time to arrive.

Thanks for the help guys.

2 |3000

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic