question

Neptune avatar image
Neptune asked

Bluetooth dongle alternate flashing blue & red

IMG_4259.MOVA firmware update was interrupted, and when I returned to complete the update VE connect had disappeared from bluetooth list. The bluetooth dongle is alternate flashing blue and red. Have uninstalled and reinstalled victron connect. Have tried holding down PIN rest button. Have disconnected and reconnected bluetooth dongle cable. Any suggestions?

MPPT ControllersVictronConnectBluetoothVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
img-4259.mov (6.4 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

[if it doesn't clear it can be returned and possibly replaced with an RMA]

Did you hold the reset pin while plugging the dongle back in? When you tried to reset it?

The press 'clear pin' is done while disconnected according to instructions.

Press and hold the 'Clear PIN' button on the dongle and connect it to the VE.Direct port again, the red and blue LEDs will blink alternately; indicating that the dongle is in update mode.

1000032512.jpg

1000032512.jpg (267.2 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Neptune avatar image Neptune commented ·
Tried one last time, and it worked, thanks. YAY!!!
1 Like 1 ·
I've followed this procedure several times, and my Victron product still does not appear in the device list.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Neptune commented ·
Take it back for replacement.
0 Likes 0 ·
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

What about unpairing it, and clean the cache from the app?

2 comments
2 |3000

I cannot unpair the device because it is not discoverable by bluetooth. I am on iphone, so I would have to select "forget this device" but there is no device to forget!
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Neptune commented ·
@Neptune

Devices are unpaired using the phone operating system, not the app.

0 Likes 0 ·
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

I only use an Android, but is it possible to force quit the victron app, and clear the cache.

Turning phone off.

Am sure you know will also need to have the location on, as well as bluetooth

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Location only applies to Android devices.

The app has no cache, removing it will remove everything completely.

Devices are rarely discoverable by bluetooth, and no attempt should be made to establish a "conventional" paring, the app will discover it if it is able.

Alternate LEDS indicate the firmware needs to be updated.

Try connect it to a different vedirect device if you have one or use a different device that supports Victron connect.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neptune avatar image Neptune nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I deleted the Victron app on iphone and installed on MacOS. Am getting the same result, the MPPT 100/30 bluetooth is not discoverable by bluetooth, it does not appear in the device list when the Victron app searches for nearby devices. I cannot update the firmware, because the device is not discoverable by any device.
0 Likes 0 ·
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

Just thinking out loud but from my perspective if the MPPT charge controller is not discoverable from other devices, it would appear the issue lies solely within the controller itself. Is it possible to 'repair' the software on the charge controller so it will recognize BT again? From what's been said so far one wouldn't think it would be a hardware issue but that can't be ruled out either.

1 comment
2 |3000

I think repair the actual controller software is beyond my novice skillset. But I suppose I could ask a suitably qualified electrician to do this. But if it is simple enough to do, I will have a go if someone could talk me through the steps. Though hoping to resolve this independently! The solar controller appears to be working fine, doing the job it is meant to do.

0 Likes 0 ·
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

I only installed my bluetooth shunt last week so am a bit green. Initially when I powered up it flashed alternately red and blue, but after 10 seconds just blue flashing.

Every thing was off. My order was, connect batteries, then inverter from off to on, then solar panels switch to on.

What about uninstalling the app and turning everything off, and starting from scratch.

1 comment
2 |3000

I have never disconnected batteries and made adjustments to the actual solar controller before. Am not sure if I am confident to do that. I have done all the uninstall, reinstall steps of the app already, same with the bluetooth dongle. No luck
0 Likes 0 ·
Neptune avatar image
Neptune answered ·

Further info:
While I was searching Victron troubleshooting, an alert message popped up on my iphone briefly, I did not read it fully because it looked like it was included in a video of an iphone tutorial that I was watching, it looked like it was part of the video. The message said something about a password being deleted, and honestly, that is all I can recall it saying - no idea if it was referring to victron PIN password.

So, I contacted Apple support, they took me through many different reset steps, uninstalling, checking bluetooth switches on etc. with no results.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

If it was a notification you can swipe from the top left corner down to open the notification history. It may still be there.

Try reset your phone as well, after uninstalling the app. (up volume, then down volume, then hold down power button until it restarts).

Then reinstall.

The hard reset may be different if you have an older device.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neptune avatar image Neptune nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Didn't work
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources