question

delusional112 avatar image
delusional112 asked

Low battery warning & Phase overload since firmware upgrade

Dear community members,

I really need your help on this, because the vendor at which I bought my stuff doesn’t know a solution.

Since a week or two I have two issues with my system. I did a firmware update on the multiplussen, but can’t be sure this is the cause. Somewhere around that time the problems started.

1. Low battery warmings all the time.

The settings in Ve configure are 48v for the warning threshold. But as you can see in the graph the voltage never drops to this point. I even set Ve configure to 44 volt and still get the warnings.

img-0390.png

img-0391.png

2. Overload warnings on phases.

I set the DVCC settings to max 210 amp. But as DESS kicks in to sell power to the grid It goes to 270 amps or so and I get overload warnings. Tried everything I can think to troubleshoot this, but I’m out of options.

Some general info: I have a 3phase system with MPII 5000. 3 x 16S EVE 280amp batterypacks. Everything is at the latest firmware.

Can there be hardware defects that causes this?

Thanks for the help

Danny

Multiplus-IIfirmware updatelow battery warning
img-0390.png (115.1 KiB)
img-0391.png (210.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Delusional112

I assume you updated so you can use the DESS system. So rollback is not an option?

For feedback, DVCC limits are ignored so that won't work there.

What you probably should do it turn the export limit down a bit so your batteries can cope better.

Or you could beef up your DC cables. The vrm logs every minute so the voltage possibly is dipping low enough between logs (60s is a long time for things to happen in). My other thought would be heat. This will also affect performance and the overload warnings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

delusional112 answered ·

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts on this @Alexandra

I don’t have the option to limit export or import. Already mentioned this in the DESS post and tagged @Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy). I saw it once in one of the Beta releases. I do have an em24 in the system he refers to. So, why I cant access this?

I already have 70mm2 DC cables. That should be sufficient.

Just noticed that it is always the MPII from phase 1 that gives the low battery warning. Phase 2 and 3 never.

4 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I wonder if the input current limit would work as a way to limit export? I can't use the DESS so not able to try any ideas.

To eliminate a hardware issue maybe switch the unit out to another phase.

1 Like 1 ·
delusional112 avatar image delusional112 Alexandra ♦ commented ·
yes, that’s something I can do. Maybe this weekend. Keep you posted.
0 Likes 0 ·
delusional112 avatar image delusional112 Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra . I have an update. I switched out the MPII of phase 1 and 2. Damn, these things are heavy :) After reprogramming the phases the ESS Assistant was gone so I had the run that again from scratch. System is up for 24 hours now and no battery warning until now.

So fingers crossed.

But still don’t see the screens for limiting the export/ import. Hope an update of VenusOs will fix that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ delusional112 commented ·
@Delusional112

Did you manage to sort out the import export story?

0 Likes 0 ·
delusional112 answered ·

Jep. I did. Very clumsy. I had to active peakshaving to ‘always’. After that I saw the options. In the earlier Beta version it wasn’t behind that option, but part of the ESS menu.

2 |3000