question

sebastian-w avatar image
sebastian-w asked

Venus GX - v3.30 vs. GUImods v10.15

After the last official update for the Venus OS on my Venus GX v3.30.

capture-01.png

GUImods stopped working.

capture-02.png

I tried reinstalling it, but it won't work again.

capture-03.png

Any idéers?

Venus OSgui mods
capture-01.png (9.1 KiB)
capture-02.png (10.7 KiB)
capture-03.png (17.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Sebastian W.

The newer version of Venus being used now because of V2 are going to start causing issues for GUI mods.

IMG_20240320_120011.jpg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Moved to modifications.

2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

There are a LOT of changes from setuphelper 6.xx to 7.xx and an issue popped up concerning guimods installing over Venus 3.30. Kevin is working on it. In the meantime you can try downgrading to setuphelper 6.10, reboot, reinstall guimods and you should be good to go.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

My apologies for the difficulties SetupHelper v7.x have inflicted on many of you. As Derrick mentioned, 7.0 was a huge changes to PackageManager. But I think the problems are behind us now.

The last couple of problems can result in incomplete package downloads as well as aborted installs. This was due to PackageManager crashing on "slower" systems. (My test system is a Raspberry PI which has a faster CPU than Cerbo so I missed some of the issues during testing.)

To be sure there are no issues remaining, I recommend you download all packages and install them manually.

As always, please report any issues. The best place is in the issues area in the GitHub repo for the package you suspect is causing the problem. Posting to the Modificaitons section here is OK too but make sure you add an @Kevin Windrem so I don't miss the post.

While these problems occurred at the same time V3.30 firmware was released, I did not find any correlation.

I would also like to thank those of you who took the time to provide detailed descriptions of the problems. This was so helpful in tracking down "intermittent" problems and helping me reproduce them here for debugging.

Also, as Victron Energy has asked several times lately, please DO NOT post answers to the beta test issues without first uninstalling all third party modifications, including GuiMods and SetupHelper. Victron Energy has spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting issues reported for modified systems. It's not fair to them. Once you've confirmed an issue only happens with my packages, I'm eager to get to the bottom of it.

5 comments
2 |3000

Al avatar image Al commented ·

Hi @Kevin Windrem today I updated my working GuiMods v10.15x? and SetupHelper v7.1, starting with updating SetupHelper to v7.8 then GuiMods to v10.16 and after that VenusOS from v3.22 to v3.30.

On reboot GuiMods was not installed and neither was Battery aggregator v3.0.15 so the massively annoying Victron Error #67 (No BMS) shut the system down. Both GuiMods and Battery Aggregator were stored in Package Manager and I was able to re-install them fairly quickly, SetupHelper was not uninstalled like the other two.

Is this expected behaviour as I hadn't manually uninstalled and reinstalled, as it seemed fine for me previously on SetupHelper v7.1

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Al commented ·

I did observe the problem you describe in an early version of v7.x. SetupHelper is now at v7.8 so I'm not sure why you are still on v7.1 but you really do need to upgrade to avoid this problem in the future.

Make sure your branch/tag is set to 'latest' and not 'beta' or a specific version.

0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image Al Kevin Windrem commented ·
I am on v7.8 I updated from v7.1 which was fine, it was updating to v7.8 that caused the problem.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Al commented ·
Please send me the SetupHelper and PackageManager logs and I'll see if I can find the problem.

/data/log/SetupHelper

/data/log/PackageManager/current

The easiest way to gather logs is go to do a Backup in the Backup and restore in the PackageManager main menu. This among other things, this creates a logs.zip file either on removable media or in /data.

You can post that zip file here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Al avatar image Al Kevin Windrem commented ·

Thanks @Kevin Windrem for looking, I've attached the two logs, but since I last posted my whole system has gone bezerk, with multiple Error #67 shut downs (I absolutely hate this with a passion, it should not exist as a logic) so I'm not sure if that is related to the earlier SetupHelper weirdness, or if dbus-SerialBattery / something else is messed up, as my BMS's also suddenly stopped communicating.

I've gone back to OS v3.22 and removed the BMS communication and had to redetect and restart the VE.Bus system in the Quattro to get the power back on.

So It may be something else, but I appreciate you having a look.

Side rant on Error #67: I know others have complained about Error #67 and Victron thinks it's for safety, but if BMS communication is lost, the BMS can still protect the batteries, it's just VenusOS doesn't see that anymore. It should still discharge and could block charge, or go into a 'limp mode' but it's more dangerous to shut the whole system down just because communications are missing, it's flawed logic to me : (

Al's Logs.zip

0 Likes 0 ·
als-logs.zip (15.5 KiB)
xavier-64 avatar image
xavier-64 answered ·

Hello,
In my case, after FW update to 3.30, and after GUI-MODs update trouble, I've INITIALIZED the Package Manager, the second download went well and now all is OK. (Cerbo GX).

Xavier.

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thanks. Glad things worked out.

One of the changes in v7.8 was to check for and remove duplicate names in the package list which was the most common corruption to that database. So it should be less necessary but it's still a good tool if things aren't appearing correctly in the Package Manager menus.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic