question

brendanmitchell avatar image
brendanmitchell asked

License for product using modified Victron software

My company is developing a product that includes several Victron products including a Cerbo GX and a GX Touch 50. We want to modify a .qml file to change the information displayed in the tiles on the screen.
A coworker asked me if we need a commercial QT license to sell a product with modified Victron code, and I realized I have no idea. What license does Victron use, and does it permit this kind of modification and redistribution?
If it matters, the modifications are very minor. In the file OverviewTiles.qml, we change an icon filename and replace the displayed current time with the time remaining for the battery. It's about 4 lines added/modified.

Venus OSgui mods
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered Ā·

Hi, in Venus OS, we use QT under the open source licenses. Not the commercial ones.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brendanmitchell avatar image brendanmitchell commented Ā·
Thanks! That's the info I needed.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered Ā·

The GX and venus OS that it runs is open source:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/open_source:start

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic