question

mrpogle avatar image
mrpogle asked

Tail current with LiFePo

300Ah LiFePo, 3KVA Multiplus, BMV712, MPPT 150/85, CCGX

The system is 8 weeks old and I have just noticed that the installer has set the tail current to 1%. The general recommendation seems to be 4%. The system has performed 8 syncs in the past 8 weeks. Should I increase the tail current setting?

battery chargingBMV Battery MonitorLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

how many times the batteries were fully charged in this time? (based on voltage, if you can see this, is the system online?)

(I'm assuming your talking about the battery monitor)

2% or 3% will probably work fine if the charged voltage is set correctly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrpogle avatar image
mrpogle answered ·

Thanks. I have reduced the charge detection time to 3 mins and have had a sync within the hour. I'll see how this goes before increasing the tail current.

2 |3000

mrpogle avatar image
mrpogle answered ·

Fully charged voltage is set to 13.5v and the time is set to 30 mins. The batteries (3x100AH) spend most of their time at 13.5v as we have shore-power all the time and we are only using the batteries for Power Assist.

2 |3000

gmiller avatar image
gmiller answered ·

I have mine set at 1% (4A on my 400Ah LiFePo4 set up) as suggested by a Lithium "guru" from South Australia. He also suggested 13.9V as the "Charged Voltage" setting. Charged detection time set at 1 minute.

2 |3000