question

svitek avatar image
svitek asked

Charging Victron Lithium smart batteries by wind turbine

I'm considering to use my 5 kW TESUP wind turbine to charge my Smart LiFe PO4 Victron's batteries. It would be much usefull to charge the batteries per night, than to have some additional 220 V electricity in the time where it is not needed.

But I'm afraid of demaging very expensive batteries by wrong charging. There is a charge controler coming with wind turbine, which I can set up to 48 V, what is the voltage of my system. (Two 24V batteries in series.) This controlor should switch off the turbine, when batteries are fully charged. But is it enough? What about charging curve? Will do the smart batteries this job or I should buy rather some additional charger controlor? I have Quatro II, which is not used for charging baterries right now. Because I'm off-grid I charge batteries only by solars MPPT controlors so far what works perfectly and during a year, we were only 3 days without electricity. But electricity demand during night will increase, so I want to be prepared.

I have read on this forum, that some dump resistors might be neccessary to protect batteries from overcharging during strong winds. There are very strong winds here and the voltage from wind turbine can be over 120 V.

Anybody has any experience with wind turbine and LiFe PO4 batteries?

battery chargingLithium Batterywind
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·

Hi before you buy Tesup read this i would recommend a lots of research and always get a turbine with its own charge controller for 12, 24 or 48v battery's.

1 Like 1 ·
Al avatar image Al nesswill commented ·
OMG!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, please @Svitek do not buy a wind turbine from them!

Any company still trying to flog chocolate teapots with promotional pictures of them mounted on the roof of a property are scammers, especially vertical axis turbines.

The trustpilot reviews are a joke.

0 Likes 0 ·
svitek avatar image svitek nesswill commented ·

Sorry, too late. The consumer experience with TESUP is terrible, but the turbine works. I don't want to accept I just wasted my money and time. To build 8 m pole wasn't easy. I need to get at least something from that. But how?

img-20240310-102843.jpg

20221129-164240.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual