question

vk avatar image
vk asked

Battery voltage low with SmartShunt

new to victron, sorry if that should be clear.

With a normal battery charger the voltage of my battery 100aH/12V between 13~14 V.

With there SmartShunt the battery Voltage is just above 12V. I think that is not good.

Are there any settings to be made when starting with the smartshunt observing the battery ?

See the voltage after two charges with smart shunt

reduced_voltage.jpg

SmartShuntlow power
reduced-voltage.jpg (20.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Looks normal. Charger has charged the battery and then allowed the voltage to drop to float level, which is being maintained.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vk avatar image
vk answered ·

@kevgermany and the volatge just above 12V is not to low ? shouldn't it be higher ?

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Assuming you have AGM batteries, they are charged to about 14.4V, this is held for a while, then voltage drops to the rest level, about 12.7V.

A multi stage charger will maintain float voltage, about 13.7V, but that isn't the case here.

This 12.7V will then drop off slowly unless there are loads on the system.

Chargers that don't have a 3 or 4 stage charging system may maintain a higher voltage than float when left on, leading to overcharging.

Some battery makers recommend slightly different voltage values to the ones I quoted. But your system looks as if it's behaving normally.

2 |3000

Related Resources