question

crholliday avatar image
crholliday asked

Does Smartshunt see current coming into battery?

I have a SmartShunt and a CerboGX (this is in anticipation of adding more Victron gear). I don't currently have an inverter and my charger is not Victron. Right now, my dashboard basically just shows the battery SOC constantly declining but I'm wondering if that is correct. Shouldn't the shunt see the charge current coming into the battery?

SmartShunt
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image harold commented ·

Yes

If correctly connected and set

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @crholliday, welcome to the Community!

If the SmartShunt is correctly connected, then yes it will see all current into and out of the battery. Correct connection, however, per the user manual, requires that the "battery" side of the SmartShunt be the ONLY thing connected to your battery bank negative - ALL other system negatives, including chassis grounds, load negatives, and charger negatives must be connected to the "loads" side of the shunt.

Your problem description sounds very much like your charger negative is connected directly to the battery (or the wrong side of the shunt), in which case the SmartShunt can't "see" the current it's putting in - and of course will not be reporting that data to the VRM either.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

crholliday avatar image crholliday commented ·

Is the below correct? I would say the charger is probably charging (I'm on shore power) but there is also a draw on the batteries. I just reset to 100% SOC about an hour ago. screenshot-20201203-161423.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If you install the shunt as shown in the manual it shows you the current into the battery and from the battery.

2 |3000